The Current Population Survey (CPS) is a monthly survey of households conducted by the Bureau of Census for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It provides a comprehensive body of data on the labor force, employment, unemployment, persons not in the labor force, hours of work, earnings, and other demographic and labor force characteristics.
- The Employment Situation for
is scheduled to be released on
October 3, 2014,
at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
September 05, 2014
Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 142,000 in August,
and the unemployment rate was little changed at 6.1 percent.
Job gains occurred in professional and business services and
in health care.
Featured News Release:
August 26, 2014
From January 2011 through December 2013, 4.3 million workers were displaced
from jobs they had held for at least 3 years. In January 2014, 61 percent of
workers displaced from 2011-13 were reemployed.
Full text: (HTML)
March 20, 2014
The unemployment rate for veterans who served on active duty in the
U.S. Armed Forces at any time since September 2001--a group referred
to as Gulf War-era II veterans--edged down to 9.0 percent in 2013.
Full text: (HTML)
Current CPS Economic News Releases:
All CPS News Releases »
Most-Requested CPS Tables
- Employment status of the population, 1940s to date (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment status by sex, 1970s to date (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment status by detailed age (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment status by educational attainment (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment by detailed occupation, sex, race, and Hispanic ethnicity (HTML) (PDF)
- Median weekly earnings by detailed occupation and sex (HTML) (PDF)
Annual tables   Monthly tables   Quarterly tables
All CPS Data Tables »
Most-Requested CPS Publications
All CPS Publications »
The impact of the partial federal government shutdown on the Employment Situation for October 2013. More Info »
Related Links to Other BLS Information
- Information for CPS Participants
- What to expect if you've been chosen to participate in the Current Population Survey.
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (National)
- Monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics
- Monthly and annual employment, unemployment, and labor force data for Census regions and divisions, States, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities, by place of residence.
- National Longitudinal Surveys
- Several surveys gathering information at multiple points in time about the labor market and life experiences of six groups of American men, women, and youth.
- Occupational Employment Statistics
- Data on employment and wages for over 800 occupations and for about 400 nonfarm industries for the nation, plus occupational data for States and metropolitan areas.
Other Useful Links
Contact the Current Population Survey (CPS)
State, city, and county labor force data
Labor force information for Census regions and divisions, states, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities are available separately from the Local Area Unemployment Statistics (LAUS) program.
Contact LAUS by e-mail or call (202) 691-6392.
National labor force data
CPS economists are available to assist you Monday through Friday (8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. Eastern Time), excluding federal holidays.
- Contact us by e-mail
- Contact us by phone: (202) 691-6378
To enable us to better serve all of our customers, please do not submit e-mail questions and then call for the same information.
For assistance with these special topics:
Written inquiries may be directed to:
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Division of Labor Force Statistics
2 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20212-0001
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not provide information about unemployment insurance (UI)
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not provide information about income and poverty
6.1% in Aug 2014
Change in Unemployment Level:
-80,000 in Aug 2014
Change in Employment Level:
+16,000 in Aug 2014
Change in Civilian Labor Force Level:
-64,000 in Aug 2014
Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate:
62.8% in Aug 2014
59.0% in Aug 2014
7.4% for 2013
11,460,000 for 2013
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.
Select a Region from the map or pick a state from the list.