Business Employment Dynamics is
a set of statistics generated from the Quarterly Census of
Employment and Wages program. These quarterly data
series consist of gross job gains and gross job losses statistics
from 1992 forward. These data help to provide a picture of the
dynamic state of the labor market.
NOTE: Data in the next release, published on Tuesday, December 10, 2013, will incorporate annual revisions to the BED series. Annual revisions are published each year with the release of first quarter data. These revisions will cover the last four quarters of not seasonally adjusted data and five years of seasonally adjusted data.
July 30, 2013
From September 2012 to December 2012 gross job gains from opening
and expanding private sector establishments increased to 7.1 million.
Gross job losses from closing and contracting private sector
establishments fell to 6.4 million.
- Quarterly Data on Business Employment Dynamics (HTML) (PDF) — this release includes updates for the private sector as a whole and for firm size classes.
- Quarterly Data From BLS on Business Employment Dynamics by State (TXT) (PDF) — State-level Business Employment Dynamics.
- Firm Size Class Quarterly Data (HTML) (PDF) — this initial release of firm size class data includes analysis of data series that begin in 1992.
- County Employment and Wages (HTML)
- Subscribe to the BLS News Service — receive the Quarterly Data on Business Employment Dynamics news releases by e-mail.
- Series Report —Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data.
- Flat files FTP Site —For those who want it all. Download a flat file of the entire database or large subset of the database.
- Akbar Sadeghi, Carol Leming, James Spletzer, and David Talan, “The Role of Younger and Older Business Establishments in the U.S. Labor Market.” August 2010 Issues in Labor Statistics
- Jessica Helfand, “All firm sizes hit hard during the current recession.” March 2010 Issues in Labor Statistics
- Sheryl L. Konigsberg, James R. Spletzer, David M. Talan, “Business employment dynamics: tabulations by size of employment change.” April 2009 Monthly Labor Review
- Akbar Sadeghi, “The births and deaths of business establishments in the United States.” December 2008 Monthly Labor Review
- Zhi Boon, Charles M. Carson, R. Jason Faberman, and Randy E. Ilg, “Studying the labor market using BLS labor dynamics data.” February 2008 Monthly Labor Review
- Amy E. Knaup and Merissa C. Piazza, “Business Employment Dynamics data: survival and longevity, II” September 2007 Monthly Labor Review
- Sheryl Konigsberg, “The Geospatial Distribution of Employment: A New Visual Asset.” March 2007 Monthly Labor Review
- Jessica Helfand, Akbar Sadeghi and David Talan, “Employment Dynamics: Small and Large Firms Over the Business Cycle.” March 2007 Monthly Labor Review
- Cordelia Okolie, “Why Size Class Methodology Matters in Analyses of Net and Gross Job Flows.” July 2004 Monthly Labor Review
- James R. Spletzer, R. Jason Faberman, Akbar Sadeghi, David M. Talan, and Richard L. Clayton, “Business Employment Dynamics: New Data on Gross Job Gains and Losses.” April 2004 Monthly Labor Review
- Joshua Pinkston and James Spletzer, “Annual Measures of Job Creation and Job Destruction Created from Quarterly Microdata.”
- Timothy R. Pivetz, Michael A. Searson, and James R. Spletzer, “Measuring Job and Establishment Flows with BLS Longitudinal Microdata.” April 2001 Monthly Labor Review
- Assessing the Timeliness of Business Births in BLS Establishment Statistics (PDF 71K)
Other BLS Programs
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages — a quarterly count of employment and wages reported by employers covering 98 percent of U.S. jobs, available at the county, metropolitan area, state and national levels by industry.
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (National) — monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (State and Area) — monthly data on employment, hours, and earnings by industry and geographic area.
Other Useful Links
Office of Employment and Unemployment
Business Employment Dynamics
Massachusetts Ave, NE
Washington, DC 20212-0001
Gross Job Gains:
7,051,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
1,344,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
5,707,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
Gross Job Losses:
6,383,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
1,312,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
5,071,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
Number of establishments gaining jobs:
1,880,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
311,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
1,569,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
Number of establishments losing jobs:
1,767,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
295,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
1,472,000 in 4th Qtr of 2012
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.