Originally Posted: August 31, 2005
The percentage of employees required to contribute to employer-provided medical insurance plans, single or family coverage, varies among all major occupational categories and other worker characteristics; however, the gap in contribution requirements between union and nonunion employees is especially notable.
NOTE: Standard errors have not been calculated for National Compensation Survey Benefits estimates. Consequently, none of the statistical inferences made in this report could be verified by a statistical test. Calculation of the average employee contribution does not include plans in which the employer pays the full premium.
SOURCE: These data are from "National Compensation Survey: Employee Benefits in Private Industry in the United States, March 2005," Summary 05-01 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, August 2005); available on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/sp/ebsm0003.pdf.
1 In private industry, 92 percent of union members and 68 percent of nonunion employees have access to medical care benefits; 83 percent of union workers and 49 percent of nonunion workers choose to participate in these benefits.
2 Furthermore, of all those participating in contributory medical plans, union members pay 10 percent of their single coverage medical insurance premiums, while their employers pay the remaining 90 percent. Their nonmember counterparts pay 19 percent of their single coverage premiums, while their employers contribute 81 percent. For family coverage, both union members and nonunion workers pay a greater proportion of their medical insurance premiums--16 percent and 32 percent, respectively.
|Single Coverage||Family Coverage|