Hourly benefits $5.58 in 1999
May 10, 2000
In March 1999, employer costs for benefits for civilian workers averaged $5.58 per hour worked. Wages and salaries were $14.72 and accounted for 72.5 percent of compensation costs. Benefits accounted for the remaining 27.5 percent.
Legally required benefits, such as Social Security and unemployment insurance, averaged $1.65 per hour, 8.1 percent of total compensation. Such benefits were the largest non-wage compensation cost.
Paid leave, with an average cost of $1.34 per hour worked, was the next largest and accounted for 6.6 percent of total compensation. Following leave were insurance ($1.29 or 6.4 percent), retirement and savings benefits (76 cents or 3.7 percent), and supplemental pay (51 cents or 2.5 percent).
These data are a product of the Employment Cost Trends program. Get more information on compensation costs from Employer Costs for Employee Compensation, 1986-99, BLS Bulletin 2526.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Hourly benefits $5.58 in 1999 on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2000/may/wk2/art03.htm (visited October 21, 2016).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
Workplace injuries and illnesses and employer costs for workers’ compensation
Workplace injury and illness data and the costs to employers for workers’ compensation in natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations.
A look at the future of the U.S. labor force to 2060
Projected long-term trends in the growth, size, and composition of the labor force.
Union membership in the United States
Historical trends in union membership among employed wage and salary workers; union membership by a variety of demographic characteristics.
A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices
Spending on healthcare, current and projected employment in the industry, employer-provided healthcare benefits, healthcare prices, and pay for workers in healthcare occupations.
Self-employment in the United States
Trends in self-employment by various demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, including both the unincorporated and the incorporated self-employed, as well as data on paid employees who work for the self-employed.