Benefits account for 30.9 percent of employee compensation, September 2013
December 20, 2013
In September 2013, wages and salaries averaged $21.54 per hour worked and accounted for 69.1 percent of total compensation costs, while benefits averaged $9.61 and accounted for the remaining 30.9 percent.
|Compensation component||Percent distribution|
Wages and salaries
Wages and salaries for private industry workers averaged $20.55 per hour worked in September 2013 and accounted for 70.3 percent of total compensation costs, while benefits averaged $8.68 and accounted for the remaining 29.7 percent.
In September 2013, State and local government employers spent an average of $27.38 per hour worked on employee wages and salaries, accounting for 64.4 percent of total compensation costs. Benefits averaged $15.13 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 35.6 percent
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Benefits account for 30.9 percent of employee compensation, September 2013 on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2013/ted_20131220.htm (visited December 08, 2016).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
Workplace injuries and illnesses and employer costs for workers’ compensation
Workplace injury and illness data and the costs to employers for workers’ compensation in natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations.
A look at the future of the U.S. labor force to 2060
Projected long-term trends in the growth, size, and composition of the labor force.
Union membership in the United States
Historical trends in union membership among employed wage and salary workers; union membership by a variety of demographic characteristics.
A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices
Spending on healthcare, current and projected employment in the industry, employer-provided healthcare benefits, healthcare prices, and pay for workers in healthcare occupations.
Self-employment in the United States
Trends in self-employment by various demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, including both the unincorporated and the incorporated self-employed, as well as data on paid employees who work for the self-employed.