New Features on BLS Website—Spring 2000
On May 24, 2000 the Bureau of Labor Statistics introduced new features on its website:
- Industry at a Glance - you can read timely profiles of the nine major industry divisions—the profiles include information on employment, earnings, workplace safety, and more.
- Improved "Economy at a Glance" - you can now quickly obtain recent economic statistics for more metropolitan areas—over 260 in all—as well as statistics for broader geographic areas. Plus, 10 years of historical data are now instantly accessible from Economy at a Glance pages.
- BLS News Service - four more BLS news releases are available by email: Commissioner's Statement on the Economic Situation, Mass Layoffs, Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment, and Regional and State Employment and Unemployment.
- Major Economic Indicators to Appear on BLS Home Page on Release Days - on days that major economic indicators are released, a section of the BLS home page called "BLS Today" will feature the latest numbers and links to the corresponding news releases. "BLS Today" will debut on June 2, 2000, when "The Employment Situation: May 2000" is released.
- Inflation Calculator - you can easily find out how the buying power of the dollar has changed over the years using the new inflation calculator, found on the Consumer Price Index home page. For example, $1.00 today has the same buying power as $0.24 in 1972.
- NCS Wage Query System - you can retrieve wage data from the National Compensation Survey (NCS) with this new data access tool, available on the NCS home page and on the Create Customized Tables page.
- Daily Schedule for BLS Website Updates - the BLS website will generally be updated 2 or 3 times a day. One update is scheduled to occur between approximately 11:00 and 11:30 am Eastern time (ET). Another is scheduled to occur between approximately 4:00 and 4:30 pm ET. In addition, on days on which data are released to the public via a news release, the website will be updated shortly after the news release comes out—note that BLS news releases come out at either 8:30 am or 10:00 am ET, depending upon the particular news release.
Last Modified Date: November 04, 2002