American Time Use Survey 2003 Microdata Files
This page includes links to the 2003 ATUS microdata files and supporting documentation. Researchers can use the ATUS microdata files to produce their own time-use estimates or do other analyses. Each ZIP file contains a data file along with computer programs that will read the data file into SAS, SPSS, and Stata. The data files are in CSV-format (comma-separated values).
The microdata files do not contain time-use estimates. Tables showing time-use estimates for major activity categories, selected detailed activities, and selected demographic and labor force characteristics are available on the ATUS Web site under the headings News Releases, Charts and Tables.
About ATUS Data
Basic ATUS Data
2003 Basic ATUS Data Dictionaries (PDF files)
2003 Basic ATUS Data Files
- ATUS 2003 Respondent file (zip) (2.1 MB) The Respondent file contains information about ATUS respondents, including their labor force status and earnings.
NOTE — The variable TU06FWGT was added to the Respondent file on June 28, 2007. The variable TU04FWGT was added to the Respondent file on September 20, 2005. For more information, please see Combining multiple years of ATUS data.
NOTE — The respondent file, originally released January 12, 2005, was re-released on May 19, 2005, with corrected data for the weekly earnings variable TRERNWA. No other data were changed. As initially released, TRERNWA was not correct because overtime earnings were omitted from about 300 cases.
- ATUS 2003 Roster file (zip) (0.3 MB) The Roster file contains information about household members and nonhousehold children (under 18) of ATUS respondents. It includes information such as age and sex.
- ATUS 2003 Activity file (zip) (6.3 MB) The Activity file contains information about how ATUS respondents spent their diary day. It includes information such as activity codes, activity start and stop times, and locations.
- ATUS 2003 Activity summary file (zip) (1.7 MB) The Activity summary file contains information about the total time each ATUS respondent spent doing each activity on the diary day.
NOTE — The variable TU06FWGT was added to the Activity summary file on June 28, 2007. For more information, please see Combining multiple years of ATUS data.
- ATUS 2003 Who file (zip) (1.6 MB) The Who file includes codes that indicate who was present during each activity.
- ATUS-CPS 2003 file (zip) (9.1 MB) The ATUS-CPS file contains information about each household member of all individuals selected to participate in ATUS. The information on the ATUS-CPS file was collected 2 to 5 months before the ATUS interview.
Additional ATUS Data
2003 Additional ATUS Data Dictionaries (PDF files)
2003 Additional ATUS Data Files
2003 Survey Documentation
Last Modified Date: Agust 3, 2016