PPI Final Demand-Intermediate Demand (FD-ID) Aggregation System
Effective with the January 2014 Producer Price Index (PPI) data release in February 2014, BLS is transitioning from the Stage of Processing (SOP) to the Final Demand-Intermediate Demand (FD-ID) aggregation system. This shift results in significant changes to the PPI news release, as well as other documents available from PPI. The transition to the FD-ID system is the culmination of a long-standing PPI objective to improve the current SOP aggregation system by incorporating PPIs for services, construction, government purchases, and exports. In comparison to the SOP system, the FD-ID system more than doubled PPI coverage of the United States economy to over 75 percent of in-scope domestic production. The FD-ID system was first introduced as a set of experimental indexes in January 2011. Nearly all new FD-ID goods, services, and construction indexes provide historical data back to either November 2009 or April 2010, while the indexes for goods that correspond with the historical SOP indexes go back to the 1970s or earlier.
PPI Stage-of-Processing (SOP) to FD-ID Transition Notice and Concordance Table
Federal Register Notice
PPI has announced the transition from the Stage of Processing (SOP) to the Final Demand-Intermediate Demand (FD-ID) aggregation system. To provide feedback, please refer to the following Federal Register Notice and send comments to Weinhagen.Jonathan@bls.gov.
Experimental FD-ID News Releases
- December 2013 (PDF)
- November 2013 (PDF)
- October 2013 (PDF)
- September 2013 (PDF)
- August 2013 (PDF)
- July 2013 (PDF)
Methodology and Articles
- Final Demand-Intermediate Demand Aggregation System Summary Explanation. (HTML)
- Analyzing price movements within the PPI FD–ID aggregation system. Monthly Labor Review. January 2014 (HTML)
- Comparing new final-demand PPIs with other government price indexes. Monthly Labor Review. January 2014 (HTML)
- PPI Introduces Experimental Aggregation System. Focus on Prices and Spending: Producer Price Indexes. (HTML) (PDF)
- PPI Introduces Experimental Aggregation System. PPI Detailed Report. January 2011 (PDF)
- Methodological Overview of PPI FD-ID Aggregation System. Monthly Labor Review. February 2011 (PDF)
- 2002 BEA Data Analysis for the Development of the PPI FD-ID Aggregation System (PDF)
- PPI Experimental Aggregation System Conference Slideshow. September 2011 (PDF 1MB)
- PPI Expands Seasonal Adjustment Coverage. February 2013 (HTML)
Relative Importance & Seasonal Factor Tables
FD-ID relative importance and seasonal factor tables are listed on the PPI homepage under PPI Tables.
As of January 2010, the PPI program included price indexes for approximately 650 industries in the mining, forestry, utility, construction, manufacturing, and service sectors of the economy. Though coverage continues to expand, there remains a number of industries not currently included in the PPI, consequently, commodities produced by these industries are excluded from the FD-ID Aggregation system. These industries are listed in the table below.
How to Obtain PPI FD-ID Aggregation Data
The latest data for PPI FD-ID Aggregation indexes is available in the PPI Detailed Report. In addition to the latest data, all available historical data can be retrieved through the PPI commodity data searches in BLS Databases and Tools. For a list of all available PPI FD-ID Aggregation indexes by title and series id code, see the document linked below. Another way to see all available data is by inputing your selected series ids into the BLS Series Report Tool, one identifier per line.
For further information on this new system, please contact Jon Weinhagen at Weinhagen.Jonathan@bls.gov or (202) 691-7709. For further assistance contact the PPI Section of Index Analysis and Public Information at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 691-7705.
Last Modified Date: February 11, 2014