The Current Population Survey (CPS) is a monthly survey of households conducted by the Bureau of Census for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It provides a comprehensive body of data on the labor force, employment, unemployment, persons not in the labor force, hours of work, earnings, and other demographic and labor force characteristics.
- The Employment Situation for
is scheduled to be released on
April 3, 2015,
at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
March 06, 2015
Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 295,000 in
February, and the unemployment rate edged down to 5.5
percent. Job gains occurred in food services and drinking
places, professional and business services, construction,
health care, and in transportation and warehousing.
Featured News Release:
January 24, 2014
The union membership rate in 2014 was 11.1 percent, down from 11.3 percent in 2013. The
number of wage and salary workers belonging to unions, at 14.6 million, changed little.
Full text: (HTML)
Current CPS Economic News Releases:
All CPS News Releases »
Most-Requested CPS Tables
- Employment status of the population, 1940s to date (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment status by sex, 1970s to date (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment status by detailed age (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment status by educational attainment (HTML) (PDF)
- Employment by detailed occupation, sex, race, and Hispanic ethnicity (HTML) (PDF)
- Median weekly earnings by detailed occupation and sex (HTML) (PDF)
Annual tables   Monthly tables   Quarterly tables
All CPS Data Tables »
Most-Requested CPS Publications
All CPS Publications »
The impact of the partial federal government shutdown on the Employment Situation for October 2013. More Info »
Related Links to Other BLS Information
- Information for CPS Participants
- What to expect if you've been chosen to participate in the Current Population Survey.
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (National)
- Monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics
- Monthly and annual employment, unemployment, and labor force data for Census regions and divisions, States, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities, by place of residence.
- National Longitudinal Surveys
- Several surveys gathering information at multiple points in time about the labor market and life experiences of six groups of American men, women, and youth.
- Occupational Employment Statistics
- Data on employment and wages for over 800 occupations and for about 400 nonfarm industries for the nation, plus occupational data for States and metropolitan areas.
Other Useful Links
Contact the Current Population Survey (CPS)
State, city, and county labor force data
Labor force information for Census regions and divisions, states, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities are available separately from the Local Area Unemployment Statistics (LAUS) program.
Contact LAUS by e-mail or call (202) 691-6392.
National labor force data
CPS economists are available to assist you Monday through Friday (8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. Eastern Time), excluding federal holidays.
- Contact us by e-mail
- Contact us by phone: (202) 691-6378
To enable us to better serve all of our customers, please do not submit e-mail questions and then call for the same information.
For assistance with these special topics:
Written inquiries may be directed to:
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Division of Labor Force Statistics
2 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20212-0001
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not provide information about unemployment insurance (UI)
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not provide information about income and poverty
5.5% in Feb 2015
Change in Unemployment Level:
-274,000 in Feb 2015
Change in Employment Level:
+96,000 in Feb 2015
Change in Civilian Labor Force Level:
-178,000 in Feb 2015
Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate:
62.8% in Feb 2015
59.3% in Feb 2015
6.2% for 2014
9,617,000 for 2014
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.
Select a Region from the map or pick a state from the list.