The NCS also provides benefits incidence data on the percentage of workers with access to and participating in employer provided benefit plans. The survey covers a broad range of benefits including holidays and vacations, sick leave, health and life insurance, and retirement plans. Details of employer-provided health and retirement plan provisions are also provided.
The participation rate for employer-sponsored medical care benefits for civilian workers was 52 percent in March 2016. The participation rate was 49 percent for private workers and 73 percent for state and local government workers.
Compensation costs increased 0.6 percent for civilian workers, seasonally adjusted, from
December 2015 to March 2016. Over the year, compensation rose 1.9 percent, wages and
salaries are up 2.0 percent, and benefits rose 1.7 percent.
Private employers spent an average of $32.06 per hour worked for compensation in March 2016. Health
insurance was the largest individual employer benefit cost at $2.44, accounting for 7.6 percent of total
Archived NCS News Releases
- ECI Archives - Complete set of ECI news releases from 1976.
- ECEC Archives - Complete set of ECEC news releases from 1986.
- Employee Benefits—latest benefit news releases.
- Employee Benefits in the United States, March 2014 (TXT) (PDF)
- Employee Benefits in the United States, March 2013 (TXT) (PDF)
- Health Plan Provision in State and Local Government in the United States, 2011 (PDF)
- Subscribe to the BLS News Service—receive the Employment Cost Index news release and other major economic indicators by e-mail.
- NCS Regional News Releases
- ECI Regional News Releases
The Office of Compensation Levels and Trends, Branch of Survey Information and Publications, will be glad to assist you with questions about any of the components of the National Compensation Survey.
Ways to Contact BLS Directly
Email: Contact us
Telephone: (202) 691-6199 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.)
Question-by-FAX: (202) 691-6647
Information and assistance is also available from any
BLS regional office.
Information voice phone: (202) 691-5200
The Federal Relay Service: 1-800-877-8339
Write or Personal Visit
Bureau of Labor Statistics
2 Massachusetts Ave., N.E. - Suite 4175
Washington, D.C. 20212-0001
Other Ways to Access our Data:
Federal Depository Libraries provide free access to government documents. Many of these
libraries receive BLS publications. Check with a location near you.