State and local government employer costs for employee compensation, September 2011

December 09, 2011

State and local government employers spent an average of $40.76 per hour worked for employee compensation in September 2011. Wages and salaries averaged $26.57 per hour and 65.2 percent of compensation costs, while benefits averaged $14.19 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 34.8 percent.

Employer cost per hour worked for employee compensation, state and local government workers, by occupational group, September 2011
[Chart data]

Total compensation for management, professional, and related occupations, which represent approximately half of all state and local government employment, averaged $49.37 per hour worked. Average hourly compensation costs were $30.86 for service occupations and $28.49 for sales and office occupations.

For state and local government employees, employer costs for insurance benefits were $4.89 per hour, or 12.0 percent of total compensation. The largest component of insurance costs was health insurance, which averaged $4.74, or 11.6 percent of total compensation.

In September 2011, the average cost for retirement and savings benefits was $3.42 per hour worked in state and local government (8.4 percent of total compensation).

These data are from the BLS Employment Cost Trends program and are for private industry and state and local government employers. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — September 2011" (HTML) (PDF), news release USDL-11-1718.


Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, State and local government employer costs for employee compensation, September 2011 on the Internet at (visited October 01, 2016).


Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics

  • A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices
    As one of the largest U.S. industries, healthcare is steadily growing to meet the needs of an increasing population with an increasing life expectancy. This Spotlight looks at how much people spend on healthcare, current and projected employment in the industry, employer-provided healthcare benefits, healthcare prices, and pay for workers in healthcare occupations.

  • Employment and Wages in Healthcare Occupations
    Healthcare occupations are a significant percentage of U.S. employment. Some of the largest and highest paying occupations are in healthcare. This Spotlight examines employment and wages for healthcare occupations.

  • Fifty years of looking at changes in peoples lives
    Longitudinal surveys help us understand long-term changes, such as how events that happened when a person was in high school affect labor market success as an adult.