Each month the Current Employment Statistics program surveys about 145,000 businesses and government agencies, representing approximately 557,000 individual worksites, in order to provide detailed industry data on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and about 400 metropolitan areas and divisions.
- Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment data for April 2013 are scheduled to be released on May 29, 2013, at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.
- Regional and State Employment and Unemployment data for May 2013 are scheduled to be released on June 21, 2013, at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.
May 01, 2013
Jobless rates were lower in March than a year earlier in 306 of the 372 metropolitan
areas, higher in 44, and unchanged in 22. Nonfarm payroll employment was up in 287
metropolitan areas over the year, down in 80, and unchanged in 5.
May 19, 2013
In April, 40 states and the District of Columbia had over-the-month
unemployment rate decreases, 3 states had increases, and 7 states had
no change. Nonfarm payroll employment increased in 30 states, decreased
in 18 states and the district, and was unchanged in 2 states.
Current SAE Economic News Releases
- Series Report — Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data.
All SAE Databases
D-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by State and major
industry, seasonally adjusted (formerly table B-7)
D-2. Employees on nonfarm payrolls in States and
selected areas by major industry (formerly table B-14)
D-3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state, selected
metropolitan areas, and metropolitan divisions (formerly table
D-4. Average hours and earnings of production employees
on manufacturing payrolls, by State (formerly table B-19)
D-5. Average hours and earnings of production employees
on manufacturing payrolls in selected states, metropolitan areas, and
metropolitan divisions (formerly table B-20)
D-6. Average hours and earnings of all employees on
private nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area, not seasonally
adjusted (formerly table B-21)
State and Area "Employment and Earnings" Tables by Month
2012 Annual Average Tables
- Employees on nonfarm payrolls in States and selected areas by major
- Employees on nonfarm payrolls by State, selected metropolitan areas,
and metropolitan divisions (PDF)
- Average hours and earnings of production employees on manufacturing
payrolls by State (PDF)
- Average hours and earnings of all employees on private nonfarm
payrolls by State (PDF)
Other BLS Programs
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National)--monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages --comprehensive employment and wage data by industry and geographic area for workers covered by State Unemployment Insurance laws.
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics--monthly and annual employment, unemployment, and labor force data for Census regions and divisions, States, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities, by place of residence.
- Sources of BLS Employment Data
Other Useful Links
CES State and Area Contacts
Further information may be obtained by contacting the Current
Employment Statistics State and Area program via email
or calling (202)691-6559 from
8:30 am through 4:30 pm Eastern Time Monday through Friday.
The cooperating State Employment Security Administrations (SESAs) have labor market
information offices which publish and disseminate CES data for their
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.
Click on the map for National Employment, Hours and Earnings