Each month the Current Employment Statistics (CES) program surveys approximately 147,000 businesses and government agencies, representing approximately 634,000 individual worksites, in order to provide detailed industry data on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls.
Employment data for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and about 450 metropolitan areas and divisions are available.
- The Employment Situation for
is scheduled to be released on
October 6, 2017,
at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
- Real Earnings for
is scheduled to be released on
October 13, 2017,
at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 156,000 in August,
and the unemployment rate was little changed at 4.4 percent. Job
gains occurred in manufacturing, construction, professional and
technical services, health care, and mining.
Current CES Economic News Releases
- Current Employment Statistics Highlights, Monthly -- a package of charts and analysis featuring the latest industry employment numbers (PDF)
- Real Earnings (HTML) (PDF)
- Strike Report
- Subscribe to the BLS News Service-- receive The Employment Situation and Real Earnings news releases by e-mail.
- Upcoming Release Dates
- Table 1. Normal seasonal movements, estimated employment change and test of significance, in thousands
- Table 2. Detailed industry employment ranked by change and prior 3-month average change, in thousands, seasonally adjusted
- Table 3. Employment change compared with recent averages, in thousands, seasonally adjusted
- Table 4. Employment change from same month a year ago, in thousands, seasonally adjusted
- Table 5. Estimated change in hours and earnings of all employees, normal seasonal movement and test of significance
- Table 6. Aggregate weekly hours and payrolls of all employees, in thousands, seasonally adjusted
- Table 7. Most recent industry-specific peak and trough employment and change through current month, in thousands
- NEW Tables A-C2: 90 percent confidence intervals for employment, hours, overtime hours, and earnings (XLSX)
- Benchmark Article (HTML) (PDF)
- Comparison of All Employees, seasonally adjusted (TXT) (XLSX)
- Comparison of All Employees, not seasonally adjusted (TXT) (XLSX)
All CES Benchmark Tables »
Tables from Employment and Earnings
Monthly Establishment Data--National
Archived Tables from Employment and Earnings - Archived tables are available in PDF format.
All CES Employment and Earnings Tables »
IMPORTANT Effective with the release of May estimates on June 2, 2017, the Current Employment Statistics program will reorganize the CE datasets stored as text files for download from the BLS website.
CES Data Access Tips
CES Published Series – A table displaying the availability, by industry, of both seasonally adjusted and not seasonally adjusted data
Historical data for series in the selected news releases from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National)
- CES vintage data tables that display the published employment values for a given reference month across time
- Series Report — Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data
All CES Databases »
- IMPORTANT 2017 CES Preliminary Benchmark Revision.
- Effective with the release of May estimates on June 2, 2017, the Current Employment Statistics program reorganized the CE datasets stored as text files for download from the BLS website.
- 2016 CES Benchmark Revision
- With the release of January 2017 data on February 3, 2017, the Current Employment Statistics (CES) program implemented publication changes related to the annual sample review.
- Effective with the release of January 2017 data on February 3, 2017, CES began using an improved methodology to select models for annual seasonal adjustment processing.
- Seeing Significance: New Chart Showing Confidence Intervals for Nonfarm Employment Changes
- Recently, the Current Employment Statistics program celebrated its 100th birthday with a symposium. Click here to watch Alan Greenspan, Jared Bernstein, and Kevin Hassett discuss one of the world’s most-watched economic datasets.
- The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), used by BLS and other statistical agencies to classify industry statistics, is periodically revised. The next NAICS revision is scheduled for 2017. A notice was published in the Federal Register on August 4, 2015, to describe the proposed 2017 changes to NAICS and to invite public comment. Additional information about the use of NAICS at BLS is available at the Bureau's NAICS webpage.
- The Joint Explanatory Statement that accompanied the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015, included language directing the BLS to conduct a review of the methodology used in the collection and reporting of CES survey data for Metropolitan Statistical Areas. The BLS response to Congress is available at http://www.bls.gov/sae/cesreport.htm.
- UPDATED Experimental Size Class Employment, Hours, and Earnings Series from the Current Employment Statistics Survey
Other BLS Programs
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (State and Area) --monthly data on employment, hours, and earnings by industry and geographic area.
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics --monthly and annual employment, unemployment, and labor force data for Census regions and divisions, States, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities, by place of residence.
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages --comprehensive employment and wage data by industry and geographic area for workers covered by State Unemployment Insurance laws.
- Business Employment Dynamics--quarterly data series of job gains and job losses statistics, generated from the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages program.
- Occupational Employment Statistics--data on employment and wages for over 800 occupations and for about 400 nonfarm industries for the nation, plus occupational data for States and metropolitan areas.
- Sources of BLS Employment Data
Other Useful Links
Current Employment Statistics Contacts
Staff members of the Current Employment Statistics are available Monday through Friday 8:30 AM TO 4:30 PM EASTERN TIME for your assistance.
Telephone: (202) 691-6555
Fax: (202) 691-6641
If you have a specific CES data question, please contact us via e-mail.
Written inquiries should be directed to:
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Division of Current Employment Statistics
2 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20212-0001
Change in Total Nonfarm Payroll Employment:
+156,000(p) in Aug 2017
Change in Total Private Average Hourly Earnings for All Employees:
+$0.03(p) in Aug 2017
Change in Total Private Average Weekly Hours for All Employees:
-0.1(p) in Aug 2017
Percent change in Total Private Aggregate Weekly Hours for All Employees:
-0.2%(p) in Aug 2017
Change in Manufacturing Average Weekly Hours for All Employees:
-0.2(p) in Aug 2017
Change in Manufacturing Average Weekly Overtime for All Employees:
unchanged in Aug 2017
Change in Total Private Real Average Hourly Earnings for All Employees:
-$0.03(p) in Aug 2017
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.