Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation

The Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC) measures the average employer cost per employee hour worked for total compensation, wages and salaries, and benefits, and costs as a percent of total compensation. These data are collected through the National Compensation Survey (NCS) and provide information about average compensation in the economy at a point in time.

Employer costs are available for different benefits, including paid leave—vacation, holiday, sick, and personal leave; supplemental pay—overtime and premium, shift differentials, and nonproduction bonuses; insurance—life, health, short-term and long-term disability; retirement and savings— defined benefit and defined contribution; and legally required benefits—Social Security, Medicare, federal and state unemployment insurance, and workers’ compensation.


read more »

Latest Numbers

Total compensation: per hour worked

Civilian workers $46.14 in 1st Qtr of 2024 Historical Data

Private industry workers $43.78 in 1st Qtr of 2024 Historical Data

State and local government workers $61.27 in 1st Qtr of 2024 Historical Data

read more »

News Releases

Civilian workers compensation costs average $46.14 per hour worked in March 2024


Employer costs for civilian workers averaged $31.72 per hour worked for wages and salaries and $14.41 for benefits in March 2024. Compensation costs were $17.64 at the 10th wage percentile, $34.91 at the median, and $88.96 at the 90th percentile.
HTML | PDF | RSS | Charts

read more »

Next Release

The Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC) June 2024 is scheduled to be released on September 10, 2024 at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.


The Economics Daily

The Economics Daily article image

Compensation costs for civilian workers averaged $42.48 per hour worked in December 2022

Total employer compensation costs for civilian workers averaged $42.48 per hour worked in December 2022. Wages and salaries cost employers $29.32 and accounted for 69.0 percent of total costs, while benefits cost $13.17 and accounted for the remaining 31.0 percent. read more »

Beyond the Numbers

Beyond the Numbers article image

Employer-provided bonuses: what are they, what types of businesses offer them, and who receives them?

This Beyond the Numbers article, presents information on the types of private industry businesses that provide nonproduction bonuses and which employees have access to these bonuses. read more »

Spotlight on Statistics

Spotlight on Statistics article image

A Look at Healthcare Spending, Employment, Pay, benefits, and Prices

A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices read more »

Monthly Labor Review

Monthly Labor Review article image

The National Compensation Survey and the Affordable Care Act: preserving quality health care data

With the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the National Compensation Survey has worked to evaluate the potential effects on the cost, coverage, and provisions for the employer-sponsored health care data it currently publishes; and explore possibilities for future collection and publication efforts. read more »