The International Price Program (IPP) produces Import/Export Price Indexes (MXP) containing data on changes in the prices of nonmilitary goods and services traded between the U.S. and the rest of the world.
- NEW Locality of Destination and Terms of Trade Data (HTML)
- Comparison of BLS Price and Spending Measures (HTML)
- 2018 Publication Changes (PDF)
- BLS Forum on the Healthcare Industry: Employment, Pay and Benefits (HTML)
- August 2018 U.S. Import and Export Price Indexes are scheduled to be
released on September 14, 2018, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
Prices for U.S. imports recorded no change in July after edging down 0.1 percent in June.
Import prices advanced 4.8 percent for the 12 months ended in July. The price index for
U.S. exports decreased 0.5 percent in July and rose 4.3 percent over the past 12 months.
- U.S. Import and Export Price Indexes (Current Month) (HTML) (PDF)
- Select Import and Export Price Indexes, 12-month percent changes (Interactive Charts)
- Subscribe to the BLS News Service—Receive the U.S. Import and Export Price Indexes news release by e-mail.
- Upcoming Release Dates for the rest of this calendar year.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Database holds current time series data that are published simultaneously with the Import and Export Price Index News Release.
The data query and extraction tool provides users with an interface to select more than 1000 data series. Unique letter/number combinations represent different descriptors that characterize the index type,
product or industry classification, geographic coverage, and time period availability. More information on the format of the data can be found at https://download.bls.gov/pub/time.series/ei/ei.txt.
- Series Identifiers Key—Not sure what code to use for what you are looking for? Use this as a guide to how the series codes are defined. The Series Identifiers Key presents all published data series for the Import and Export Price Indexes with detailed descriptions of the data series codes. The purpose of this file is to act as a data dictionary for data users to more easily identify the data series they would like to use.
- Series Report—Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data.
- Locality of Origin Index Codes Prefixes - Looking for an industry level index by country or region? Use this as a guide to the database codes.
- Text files (FTP) - For those who want it all. Download a flat file of the entire database or large subset of the database.
Archives: Previous versions of these tables are available upon request.
Publications other than the monthly news release are produced in order to provide a comprehensive understanding over a variety of topics including
how the import/export price indexes are connected to different aspects of the U.S. economy, how they are used by other agencies and organizations, and
more. For a general overview of the price indexes, please review the Overview Pamphlet.
Articles and Research Papers Using MXP Data
Country of Origin
Data Uses and Fact Sheets
In order to help users assess the precision of the U.S. import and export price index series, BLS is now providing variance estimates for these figures. Currently, the data are only calculated for the all-import and all-export series. In the future, however, the published variance estimates will also be made available at a more detailed level.
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2017 (PDF)
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2016 (PDF)
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2015 (PDF)
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2014 (PDF)
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2013 (PDF)
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2012 (PDF)
- Variance Estimates for Changes in the Import and Export Price Indexes, January–December 2011 (PDF)
Import and Export Price Index Discussion Series
The Discussion Series are presentations followed by an open discussion of a topic relating to Import
and Export prices.
Presentations are usually held every few months in the BLS Conference and Training Center.
To suggest future topics, please email: US_BLS_IPP_Outreach_Group@bls.gov.
To view past presentations, please visit our MXP Presentations page.
The international price program participates in the collection of prices that are used to represent the U.S. in certain international price comparisons.
OECD Purchasing Power Parities
World Bank International Comparisons Program
- Telephone: (202) 691-7101
- E-Mail: Contact us
- Fax (202) 691-7179
Division of International Prices
Bureau of Labor Statistics
2 Massachusetts Avenue N.E.
Washington, DC 20212
- Telephone: (202) 691-5902
Regional Office Assistance:
Information about the Import/Export Price Indexes and other BLS data may be obtained from
any of the eight BLS Regional Economic Analysis
and Information offices.
BLS Email Subscription Service:
Subscribers to the BLS Email Subscription Service can receive the Import/Export Price Indexes
and other BLS news releases; data summaries; and new publication notifications by email.
More information about this free service may be found on the
BLS News Service Subscription Page.