Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

A data chart image of 251 out of 389 metropolitan areas had decreases in employment for the year ended September 2020

251 out of 389 metropolitan areas had decreases in employment for the year ended September 2020

October 30, 2020

In September 2020, 251 metropolitan areas had over-the-year decreases in nonfarm payroll employment and 138 were essentially unchanged. The largest over-the-year percentage losses in employment occurred in Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, Hawaii (−29.6 percent), Lake Charles, Louisiana (−19.6 percent), and Ocean City, New Jersey (−18.3 percent). There were no significant job gains over this period.

read full article »
Recent Articles
View All »

October 29, 2020

A data chart image of Employers paid 67 percent of premiums for family medical care coverage in 2020

Employers paid 67 percent of premiums for family medical care coverage in 2020

Employers paid 67 percent of premiums for family medical care coverage in March 2020. Civilian workers participating in these plans paid the remaining 33 percent. Employers paid 59 percent of premiums for workers with the lowest 25 percent of wages and 71 percent of premiums for workers with the highest 25 percent of wages.

October 28, 2020

A data chart image of The Midwest states are tooled for production

The Midwest states are tooled for production

Of the four U.S. geographic regions, the Midwest had the highest average concentration of production occupations in May 2019, with an employment share almost one and a half times the national average. Indiana and Wisconsin had the highest employment shares in production occupations in the United States, with Indiana’s share twice the national average.

October 27, 2020

A data chart image of Hawaii and Nevada had largest drops in employment–population ratio from February to September

Hawaii and Nevada had largest drops in employment–population ratio from February to September

Thirty-three states and the District of Columbia had employment–population ratios that were at least 3 percentage points lower in September 2020 than in February. The ratio in Hawaii was 47.8 percent in September, 11.9 percentage points lower than in February. In Nevada, the ratio was 53.5 percent in September. That was up from a low of 40.6 percent in April but still 7.7 percentage points lower than in February.

October 26, 2020

A data chart image of All 50 states and the District had jobless rate increases from a year earlier in September 2020

All 50 states and the District had jobless rate increases from a year earlier in September 2020

Unemployment rates were lower in September 2020 than in August in 30 states, higher in 8 states, and stable in 12 states and the District of Columbia. All 50 states and the District had jobless rate increases from a year earlier.

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics

triangle