Small increases in compensation costs in September 2009

November 05, 2009

Compensation costs and its components—wages and salaries and benefits—decelerated for private industry workers for the 12-month period ending September 2009, registering the smallest increases since each series began. The differences were not statistically different from last quarter. Wages and salaries make up about 70 percent of compensation and benefits make up the remaining 30 percent.

12-month percent changes in Employment Cost Index, private industry, December 2008–March 2009
[Chart data]

Compensation costs increased 1.2 percent, the smallest percent change published since the series began in 1980.

The wage and salary series, which began in 1975, increased 1.4 percent for the current 12-month period.

The cost of benefits, which have been measured since 1980, increased 1.1 percent for the 12-month period ending September 2009.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employment Cost Index — September 2009 " (HTML) (PDF), news release USDL 09-1303.


Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Small increases in compensation costs in September 2009 on the Internet at (visited September 27, 2016).


Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics

  • A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices
    As one of the largest U.S. industries, healthcare is steadily growing to meet the needs of an increasing population with an increasing life expectancy. This Spotlight looks at how much people spend on healthcare, current and projected employment in the industry, employer-provided healthcare benefits, healthcare prices, and pay for workers in healthcare occupations.

  • Employment and Wages in Healthcare Occupations
    Healthcare occupations are a significant percentage of U.S. employment. Some of the largest and highest paying occupations are in healthcare. This Spotlight examines employment and wages for healthcare occupations.

  • Fifty years of looking at changes in peoples lives
    Longitudinal surveys help us understand long-term changes, such as how events that happened when a person was in high school affect labor market success as an adult.