As we continue to celebrate our veterans this month, here are our most up-to-date statistics about veterans in the civilian labor force.
- After reaching 9.9 percent in January 2011, the unemployment rate for veterans was 4.3 percent in October 2016.
- The unemployment rate for Gulf War-era II veterans — who served on active duty at any time since September 2001 — reached 15.2 percent in January 2011 and was 4.7 percent in October 2016.
- The peak unemployment rate for nonveterans was 10.4 percent in January 2010; their rate was 4.5 percent in October 2016.
- There were 471,000 unemployed veterans in the United States in the third quarter of 2016; 22 percent of them were ages 18 to 34.
- More veterans work in government than in any other industry; 21 percent of all veterans and 27 percent of Gulf War-era II veterans work for federal, state, or local government. By comparison, 13 percent of employed nonveterans work in government.
- After government, the next largest employers of veterans are manufacturing and professional and business services (about 12 percent each).
Now let’s take a look at some data that may help veterans who are looking for work or considering a career change.
Looking to move?
In 2015, the unemployment rate for veterans varied across the country, ranging from 1.9 percent in Iowa to 7.7 percent in the District of Columbia.
What industries have the most job openings?
There were 5.5 million job openings in September 2016. Here’s how they break down by industry.
What are the fastest-growing jobs?
- Seven of the ten fastest growing occupations are in healthcare fields.
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- A Career Outlook article provides information on returning to the workforce after an absence.
Thank you, veterans, for your service. Check out our website at www.bls.gov 24/7 or give our information office a call at 202.691.5200. We also have regional information offices available to help you. BLS has the data you need to make wise decisions.