Public Service Announcement on Scams and Other Fraud Activity
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is a nonpartisan statistical agency. We collect information to produce statistics of the U.S. labor market, price changes, working conditions, and productivity. We safeguard respondent information rigorously.
BLS is NOT an enforcement or regulatory agency. Thus, BLS will never:
- Request payment for accessing or reporting data
- Ask for bank account information
- Ask you for your social security number
- Ask you for your passwords
- Engage in law enforcement or prosecutorial activity
Protecting yourself against scam or fraudulent activity
To verify that you have received a legitimate survey from BLS, you can:
- Look for an Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Control Number. These numbers can be entered at www.reginfo.gov/public/do/PRASearch to check the validity of the request.
- Give us a call at (202) 691-5200 or send us an email and a BLS staff member will be happy to help you check if the survey is legitimate.
If you believe you have been a target of scamming or other fraudulent activity, please contact the Department of Labor’s Office of the Inspector General hotline at:
Last Modified Date: September 29, 2021