Business Response Survey on Layoffs and State Workforce Programs — Pilot
- This pilot survey has ended.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and the Employment and Training Administration (ETA) are seeking to better understand the impact of layoffs on employers. Since the COVID-19 pandemic began in February 2020, employers have experienced unprecedented disruptions and challenges to their operations including layoffs (both temporary and permanent), followed by difficulties in hiring and training workers as we emerge from the pandemic. Your response is important to ensure that the data we produce are accurate, timely, and relevant. This is a new survey, and you will be helping us ensure that the questions we ask work for businesses like yours.
On the BLS Business Survey (BBS) logon page, enter your 12-digit Web ID: and 8-character case-sensitive Password: and click 'I Accept.'
- The password always starts with a capital letter, followed by a lowercase letter, followed by six numbers. e.g. Aa123456
- If you are copying and pasting the Web ID and password from solicitation emails, please be sure not to copy any leading or trailing blanks after the Web ID and password. Our secure website will not validate credentials that are not entered exactly as prescribed.
- If you incorrectly enter your credentials three times, the secure website will temporarily lock your account for approximately 30 minutes. If this occurs, please close your browser, wait 30 minutes, and then try again. Closing and reopening the browser refreshes the connection and clears the history of any previously entered information.
On the BLS Business Survey (BBS) welcome page, you will see your company's Legal Name, UI Account Number, and the physical location state displayed in the top right corner. Click 'Continue' to begin the survey.
On the address and contact verification page:
- Let us know if the location has closed in the state. Check the OUT OF BUSINESS box, then enter the date the business closed and your contact information and click "'Save and Continue' to complete the survey.
- Confirm or update the company's business mailing address. This may be within the state, or in another state.
- Confirm or update the physical location address of the business in the state identified at the top right. The physical location address for the unemployment insurance account listed must be in the state identified.
- If you have employees in the state but no physical location, click the button indicating the business has no physical location address in the state.
- Provide your contact information and click on 'Save and Continue".
The 2023 Business Response Survey asks questions about employer’s experiences with layoffs over the last three years. Click 'Continue' to complete this short survey on your business location’s experience with layoffs and state workforce programs.
Last Modified Date: May 12, 2023