Private industry workers with sick leave benefits received 8 days per year at 20 years of service
March 08, 2019
How many workers can use paid sick leave when they can’t go to work because of illness or other medical concerns? In March 2018, 71 percent of workers in private industry had paid sick leave benefits. About 6 in 10 of those workers received a fixed number of sick leave days each year. Four percent could use sick days as needed, and the rest were in consolidated leave plans, which provide time off for workers to use for a variety of purposes. Among those who received a fixed number of sick leave days, the amount varied depending on the employee’s length of service and the size of the establishment.
|Length of service||All establishments||1 to 49 workers||50 to 99 workers||100 to 499 workers||500 workers or more|
After 1 year
After 5 years
After 10 years
After 20 years
On average, workers in private industry received 7 days of sick leave per year at 1 year of service. The average also was 7 days at 5 and 10 years of service and 8 sick days per year at 20 years of service. Employees in smaller establishments received fewer paid sick days, on average, than employees in establishments with 500 workers or more.
What about workers who don’t use all their sick leave each year? Can they carry it over to use in future years? In March 2018, 46 percent of workers in private industry who received a fixed number of paid sick days could carry over unused sick days from year to year. Usually there was a limit to the number of days these workers could carry over. The remaining 54 percent of workers in private industry could not carry over unused sick days from one year to the next.
These data are from the National Compensation Survey — Benefits program. For more information, see “National Compensation Survey: Employee Benefits in the United States, March 2018.”
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Private industry workers with sick leave benefits received 8 days per year at 20 years of service on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2019/private-industry-workers-with-sick-leave-benefits-received-8-days-per-year-at-20-years-of-service.htm (visited November 13, 2019).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
- A look at employment and wages in U.S. establishments with foreign ownership
Examines employment and wages in U.S. establishments that have at least one foreign owner with at least 10 percent ownership.
- 25 years of Worker Injury, Illness, and Fatality Case Data
Examines detailed historical data on work-related injuries, illnesses, and fatal injuries.
- Occupational employment projections through the perspective of education and training
Examines employment, projected employment growth, and wages for occupations with different education and training requirements.
- Workers in Alternative Employment Arrangements
A look at independent contractors, on-call workers, temporary help agency workers, and workers provided by contract firms.