BLS Data Users’ Conference in Chicago — August 26, 2019
You are invited to attend the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Data Users' Conference in Chicago, Illinois, on August 26, 2019. The conference will focus on How the Bureau Meets the Needs of National and Local Data Users. Presentation topics include: What's new from the Bureau of Labor Statistics; What do people do on the job and how are they compensated? Evidence from BLS establishment surveys; BLS Price Data: What do they tell us?; and Recovery from the Great Recession – the impact on those with less than a Bachelor’s degree.
Advance registration is required for this event.
Please Register by Monday, August 19, 2019 at Eventbrite.
Special guest speakers include:
- William Beach, Commissioner for the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DC
- Kristen Monaco, BLS Associate Commissioner for Compensation and Working Conditions, Washington, DC
- David Friedman, BLS Associate Commissioner for Prices and Living Conditions , Washington, DC
- Michael Horrigan, President, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, Kalamazoo, MI, and former BLS Associate Commissioner for Employment and Unemployment
- When: Monday, August 26, 2019
- Where: Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 230 S. LaSalle St., Chicago, IL 60604
- Cost: FREE
- Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., check-in and complimentary continental breakfast begin at 8:00 a.m.
- Registration: Registration is required no later than Monday, August 19
- Register at Eventbrite
NOTE: Due to security measures, registration and photo ID will be required for admittance to the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank building.
- 8:00 a.m. Check-in and free continental breakfast
- 9:00 a.m. Welcome
Charlene Peiffer, Assistant Commissioner for Regional Operations, Chicago
Daniel G. Sullivan, Executive Vice President, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- 9:15 a.m. “What's new from BLS” William Beach, Commissioner for the Bureau of Labor Statistics
- 9:45 a.m. What do people do on the job and how are they compensated? Evidence from BLS establishment surveys
Kristen Monaco, BLS Associate Commissioner, Office of Compensation and Working Conditions
Kristin Smyth, Economist, Office of Compensation Levels and Trends
- 10:30 a.m. BREAK
- 10:45 a.m. BLS Price data: What do they tell us? David Friedman, BLS Associate Commissioner, Office of Prices and Living Conditions
- 11:30 a.m. Recovery from the Great Recession – the impact on those with less than a Bachelor’s degree Michael Horrigan, President, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research
- 12:15 p.m. Closing Remarks Charlene Peiffer, BLS Assistant Commissioner for Regional Operations, Chicago
Join us for a Data Open House after the event and speak to BLS experts (See below)
Meet with BLS experts
Following the event, we invite you to chat with BLS experts who will be available to discuss:
- Inflation and cost of living from the Consumer Price Index and Consumer Expenditure Survey programs
- Industrial and International Prices from the Producer Price Index and Import/Export Price Index programs
- Employment and Unemployment from the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages, Current Employment Statistics, Current Population Survey, and Local Area Unemployment Statistics programs
- Pay and Benefits from the National Compensation Survey and Occupational Employment Statistics programs; and the Bureau's Occupational Requirements Survey
If you have any questions, contact the BLS Chicago Information Office at (312) 353-1880 or send an email.
We hope you can make it!
Please feel free to forward this invitation to any of your staff or colleagues who may be interested in joining us at the event.