Instructions for how to open GZ files
- Save the .gz file to your desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file, or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip, and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracted files, and click the "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Note: Files can also be unzipped on Unix systems using the "gunzip" or “gzip -ad <file>.gz” command.
Last Modified Date: April 27, 2018