California: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
In 2020, California ranked second among U.S. states and territories in total exports. The export dollar value from California totaled $156.1 billion, a decrease of 9.9 percent from the 2019 value of $173.3 billion. The price index for the top export industry in California, computer and electronic product manufacturing, advanced during the second quarter of 2021. The export price indexes for transportation equipment manufacturing, machinery manufacturing, and chemical manufacturing each increased over the same period.
Top Six California Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- California accounted for 19.0 percent of total U.S. exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing by trade dollar value in 2020, ranking second among all states.
- In 2020, California accounted for 8.7 percent of total U.S. transportation equipment manufacturing exports, ranking third among all states.
- The top 6 export industries from California accounted for roughly 71.0 percent of the state’s total exports.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent over the past 3 months.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices edged up 0.2 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by a 1.7-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent from March to June.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 2.0 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- A 4.0-percent advance in motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing prices contributed to the over-the-year increase in prices for transportation equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent for the 3-month period ended June 2021.
- The 3-month rise for machinery manufacturing export prices was driven by a 2.1-percent increase in agriculture, construction, and mining machinery manufacturing.
- Over the past 12 months, prices for export machinery manufacturing rose 2.2 percent.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Crop Production
- Crop production export prices increased 7.2 percent over the last 3 months.
- Prices for exports of crop production rose 46.4 percent over the last 12 months.
- Higher prices for fruit and tree nut farming contributed to the 46.4-percent increase in crop production prices from June 2020 to June 2021.
Western Information Office • BLSInfoSF@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ • 415-625-2270
Last Modified Date: July 22, 2021