Georgia: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
Exports from Georgia totaled $38.8 billion in 2020, down 5.8 percent from $41.2 billion in 2019. Prices for the largest export industry in Georgia, transportation equipment manufacturing, increased in the second quarter of 2021. Export prices for chemical manufacturing, paper manufacturing, and machinery manufacturing also advanced over the same period.
Top Six Georgia Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- In 2020, Georgia ranked fifth among U.S. states in the trade dollar value of its top export industry, transportation equipment manufacturing, accounting for 6.2 percent of total U.S. exports.
- Transportation equipment manufacturing amounted to 31.8 percent of the total export trade dollar value from Georgia in 2020.
- In 2020, Georgia ranked first in the United States in paper manufacturing exports and accounted for 14.2 percent of the U.S. total by trade dollar value.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent from March to June.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 2.0 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- A 4.0-percent advance in motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing prices contributed to the over-the-year increase in prices for transportation equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent for the 3-month period ended June 2021.
- The 3-month rise for machinery manufacturing export prices was driven by a 2.1-percent increase in agriculture, construction, and mining machinery manufacturing.
- Over the past 12 months, prices for export machinery manufacturing rose 2.2 percent.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing rose 7.0 percent in the second quarter of 2021.
- Chemical manufacturing prices advanced 23.7 percent over the past 12 months.
- A 35.9-percent rise in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing led the 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Paper Manufacturing
- Prices for export paper manufacturing advanced 10.1 percent from March to June.
- A 19.5-percent increase in prices for pulp, paper, and paperboard mills drove the 3-month rise in overall paper manufacturing prices.
- The paper manufacturing export price index rose 15.3 percent over the last 12 months.
Southeast Information Office • BLSInfoAtlanta@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeast/ • 404-893-4222
Last Modified Date: July 22, 2021