Mid-Atlantic: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mid-Atlantic region, composed of Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, exported a total trade dollar value of $99.1 billion in 2022, an increase of 13.3 percent from 2021. Prices for chemical manufacturing, the largest export industry for the region, declined in October. Export prices for machinery manufacturing, transportation equipment manufacturing, and computer and electronic product manufacturing increased in October.
Top Six Mid-Atlantic Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- Overall exports from the Mid-Atlantic represented 4.8 percent of the U.S. total export trade dollar value in 2022.
- Mid-Atlantic chemical manufacturing exports accounted for 6.9 percent of the industry's total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
- The top 6 export industries from the Mid-Atlantic accounted for 62.2 percent of the region's total 2022 export trade dollar value.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 0.3 percent in October.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 3.2 percent over the past year.
- A 7.1-percent decrease in prices for resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing led the 12-month decline in prices for chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent in October.
- Despite the monthly advance, export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices decreased 1.5 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month drop in the price index for computer and electronic product manufacturing was led by a 5.5-percent decrease in semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices increased 0.2 percent in October.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices rose 4.8 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month rise in prices for export transportation equipment manufacturing was driven by a 7.2-percent advance in prices for aerospace product and parts manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices increased 0.1 percent in October.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 4.7 percent over the past year.
- A 5.7-percent increase in other general purpose machinery manufacturing export prices contributed to the 12-month rise in machinery manufacturing prices.
Mid-Atlantic Information Office • BLSInfoPhiladelphia@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/ • 215-597-3282
Last Modified Date: November 24, 2023