Mid-Atlantic: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mid-Atlantic region, composed of Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, exported a total trade dollar value of $87.5 billion in 2021, an increase of 19.6 percent from $73.2 billion in 2020. Prices for chemical manufacturing exports advanced in April. Export prices for transportation equipment manufacturing, computer and electronic product manufacturing, and machinery manufacturing also increased over the same period.
Top Six Mid-Atlantic Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- Mid-Atlantic chemical manufacturing exports accounted for 7.0 percent of the industry's total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2021.
- Overall exports from the Mid-Atlantic represented 5.0 percent of the U.S. total export trade dollar value in 2021.
- The top 6 export industries from the Mid-Atlantic accounted for 61.6 percent of the region's total 2021 export trade dollar value.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports increased 1.8 percent in April.
- The index for chemical manufacturing prices advanced 6.4 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices was led by a 53.5-percent increase in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices advanced 0.7 percent in April.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 3.4 percent for the 12 months ended April 2022.
- A 7.4-percent rise in motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing prices contributed to the over-the-year increase in prices for transportation equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.5 percent in April.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices advanced 3.7 percent from April 2021 to April 2022.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by an 8.1-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing export prices rose 1.4 percent in April.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 7.4 percent over the 12 months ended April 2022.
- The 12-month increase for machinery manufacturing export prices was driven by an 11.0-percent rise in prices for commercial and service industry machinery manufacturing.
Mid-Atlantic Information Office • BLSInfoPhiladelphia@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/ • 215-597-3282
Last Modified Date: May 25, 2022