Mid-Atlantic: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mid-Atlantic region, composed of Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and the District of Columbia, exported a total trade value of $73.2 billion in 2020, a decrease of 10.5 percent from 2019. Prices for chemical manufacturing exports rose during the second quarter of 2021. Export prices for transportation equipment manufacturing, computer and electronic production manufacturing, and machinery manufacturing also increased over the same period.
Top Six Mid-Atlantic Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- In 2020, Mid-Atlantic chemical manufacturing exports accounted for 7.4 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value, ranking third nationally behind Texas and California.
- Transportation equipment manufacturing exports from the Mid-Atlantic States represented 4.3 percent of the U.S. total in 2020.
- Pennsylvania was the top contributor to all but one of the Mid-Atlantic region’s 6 largest export industries, with 52.2 percent of exports in those categories.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing rose 7.0 percent in the second quarter of 2021.
- Chemical manufacturing prices advanced 23.7 percent over the past 12 months.
- A 35.9-percent rise in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing led the 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent from March to June.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 2.0 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- A 4.0-percent advance in motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing prices contributed to the over-the-year increase in prices for transportation equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent over the past 3 months.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices edged up 0.2 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by a 1.7-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent for the 3-month period ended June 2021.
- The 3-month rise for machinery manufacturing export prices was driven by a 2.1-percent increase in agriculture, construction, and mining machinery manufacturing.
- Over the past 12 months, prices for export machinery manufacturing rose 2.2 percent.
Mid-Atlantic Information Office • BLSInfoPhiladelphia@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/ • 215-597-3282
Last Modified Date: July 22, 2021