Mountain-Plains: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mountain-Plains region, which consists of Utah, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming, exported a total trade dollar value of $58.7 billion in 2021, an increase of 13.3 percent from 2020. Export prices for primary metal manufacturing, the largest industry in the region by trade dollar value, declined in June. Prices for export chemical manufacturing were unchanged over the same period, and the export price index for food manufacturing decreased.
Top Six Mountain-Plains Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- The Mountain-Plains states accounted for 3.3 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2021.
- The largest Mountain-Plains export industry in 2021, primary metal manufacturing, represented 12.1 percent of total U.S. exports in the category.
- The top 6 export industries from the Mountain Plains accounted for 72.8 percent of the region's total export trade dollar value in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Prices for export primary metal manufacturing decreased 3.1 percent in June.
- The June decline was the largest 1-month decrease since the index fell 4.0 percent in August 2015.
- The export price index for primary metal manufacturing advanced 6.0 percent from June 2021 to June 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports was unchanged in June.
- The index for chemical manufacturing prices advanced 3.9 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices was led by a 46.2-percent increase in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Food Manufacturing
- Prices for food manufacturing exports declined 0.6 percent in June.
- The June decrease was the largest 1-month decrease since the index fell 1.3 percent in August 2020.
- Export food manufacturing prices increased 11.7 percent over the 12 months ended June 2022.
Mountains-Plains States by Export Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- The top 3 Mountain-Plains exporting states—Utah, Missouri, and Kansas—accounted for 2.6 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2021.
- Utah accounted for 30.8 percent of total Mountain-Plains exports in 2021, and Missouri and Kansas represented 26.4 percent and 21.4 percent of the region's trade dollar value, respectively.
- Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming combined for 21.4 percent of Mountain-Plains exports by trade dollar value in 2021.
Mountain-Plains Information Office • BLSInfoKansasCity@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-plains/ • 816-285-7000
Last Modified Date: July 25, 2022