Mountain-Plains: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mountain-Plains region, which consists of Utah, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming, exported a total trade dollar value of $60.7 billion in 2022, an increase of 3.6 percent from 2021. Export prices for chemical manufacturing, the largest industry in the region by trade dollar value, declined in July. Export prices for primary metal manufacturing also decreased in July, and prices for food manufacturing advanced over the same period.
Top Six Mountain-Plains Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- The Mountain-Plains states accounted for 2.9 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
- The largest Mountain-Plains export industry in 2022, chemical manufacturing, represented 3.2 percent of total U.S. exports in the category.
- The top 6 export industries from the Mountain Plains accounted for 72.2 percent of the region's total export trade dollar value in 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 2.1 percent in July.
- A 3.2-percent drop in prices for basic chemical manufacturing contributed to the monthly decrease in prices for chemical manufacturing.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 10.2 percent over the past year.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Food Manufacturing
- Prices for food manufacturing exports increased 0.5 percent in July.
- Food manufacturing export prices declined 2.5 percent over the past 12 months.
- A 6.5-percent drop in grain and oilseed milling prices contributed to the over-the-year decline in prices for food manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Prices for export primary metal manufacturing fell 2.5 percent in July.
- A 3.0-percent decrease in prices for nonferrous metal (except aluminum) production and processing drove the July drop in primary metal manufacturing prices.
- The export price index for primary metal manufacturing declined 6.6 percent from July 2022 to July 2023.
Mountain-Plains States by Export Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- The top 3 Mountain-Plains exporting states—Utah, Missouri, and Kansas—accounted for 2.3 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
- Utah accounted for 27.3 percent of total Mountain-Plains exports in 2022, Missouri 26.5 percent, and Kansas 23.0 percent.
- Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming combined for 23.3 percent of Mountain-Plains exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
Mountain-Plains Information Office • BLSInfoKansasCity@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-plains/ • 816-285-7000
Last Modified Date: August 23, 2023