Import/Export Price Indexes
Mountain-Plains: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mountain-Plains region, which consists of Utah, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming, exported a total trade dollar value of $60.7 billion in 2022, an increase of 3.6 percent from 2021. Export prices for chemical manufacturing, the largest industry in the region by trade dollar value, decreased in January. Export prices for primary metal manufacturing also declined over this period, and prices for export food manufacturing increased.
Top Six Mountain-Plains Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- The Mountain-Plains states accounted for 2.9 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
- The largest Mountain-Plains export industry in 2022, chemical manufacturing, represented 3.2 percent of total U.S. exports in the category.
- The top 6 export industries from the Mountain Plains accounted for 72.2 percent of the region's total export trade dollar value in 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 1.5 percent in January.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 6.1 percent over the past year.
- A 26.0-percent drop in resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments prices led the 12-month decrease in prices for chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Food Manufacturing
- Prices for food manufacturing exports increased 0.3 percent in January.
- Food manufacturing export prices rose 6.3 percent over the 12 months ended January 2023.
- A 16.1-percent rise in grain and oilseed milling prices led the over-the-year increase in prices for food manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Prices for export primary metal manufacturing decreased 1.3 percent in January.
- A 0.9-percent decrease in prices for primary nonferrous metal rolling and drawing production and processing contributed to the January decline in primary metal manufacturing prices.
- The export price index for primary metal manufacturing declined 5.1 percent from January 2022 to January 2023.
Mountain-Plains States by Export Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- The top 3 Mountain-Plains exporting states—Utah, Missouri, and Kansas—accounted for 2.3 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
- Utah accounted for 27.3 percent of total Mountain-Plains exports in 2022, while Missouri and Kansas represented 26.5 percent and 23.0 percent of the region's trade dollar value, respectively.
- Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming combined for 23.3 percent of Mountain-Plains exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
Mountain-Plains Information Office • BLSInfoKansasCity@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-plains/ • 816-285-7000
Last Modified Date: March 8, 2023