Mountain-Plains: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The Mountain-Plains region, which consists of Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming, exported a total trade value of $51.8 billion in 2020, decreasing 3.2 percent from 2019. Export prices for primary metal manufacturing and chemical manufacturing, the two largest industries in the region by trade dollar value, rose from January to April. Food manufacturing prices increased during the same period.
Top Six Mountain-Plains Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- The Mountain-Plains states accounted for 3.1 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2020.
- The largest Mountain-Plains export industry in 2020, primary metal manufacturing, represented 18.3 percent of total U.S. exports.
- Chemical manufacturing, the second-largest Mountain-Plains export industry in 2020, accounted for 3.6 percent of the industry’s total exports by trade dollar value for the United States.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing export prices rose 1.8 percent from January to April.
- The price index for export primary metal manufacturing advanced 24.7 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month increase in primary metal manufacturing prices was primarily driven by a 25.3-percent rise in prices for nonferrous metal (except aluminum) production and processing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Food Manufacturing
- Prices for food manufacturing exports increased 7.0 percent over the past 3 months.
- Higher prices for animal slaughtering and processing, up 12.9 percent, drove the 3-month advance in food manufacturing prices.
- Export food manufacturing prices increased 14.5 percent over the 12 months ended in April.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing rose 7.0 percent in the second quarter of 2021.
- Chemical manufacturing prices advanced 23.7 percent over the past 12 months.
- A 35.9-percent rise in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing led the 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Mountains-Plains States by Export Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- In 2020, the Mountain-Plains states accounted for 3.6 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value.
- Utah accounted for 34.2 percent of total Mountain-Plains exports, while Missouri and Kansas represented 24.7 percent and 20.1 percent of the region’s trade dollar value, respectively.
- Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming combined for 21.0 percent of Mountain-Plains exports by trade dollar value in 2020.
Mountain-Plains Information Office • BLSInfoKansasCity@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-plains/ • 816-285-7000
Last Modified Date: August 4, 2021