New England: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The value of exports from New England totaled $51.3 billion in 2020, a 9.5-percent decrease from the 2019 Trade dollar value of $56.6 billion. Prices for the largest export industry in New England, computer and electronic product manufacturing, increased over the 3 months ended May 2021. Over the same period, the export price indexes for machinery manufacturing and transportation equipment manufacturing also advanced.
Top Six New England Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- The six New England states accounted for 5.3 percent of the U.S. total of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports. Massachusetts alone accounted for 3.1 percent.
- New England accounted for 3.7 percent of U.S. transportation equipment manufacturing exports.
- The top six New England export industries accounted for 74.0 percent of the region’s total exports.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent over the past 3 months.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices edged up 0.2 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by a 1.7-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent for the 3-month period ended June 2021.
- The 3-month rise for machinery manufacturing export prices was driven by a 2.1-percent increase in agriculture, construction, and mining machinery manufacturing.
- Over the past 12 months, prices for export machinery manufacturing rose 2.2 percent.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent from March to June.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 2.0 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- A 4.0-percent advance in motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing prices contributed to the over-the-year increase in prices for transportation equipment manufacturing.
New England Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing Exporting States by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- Massachusetts exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing accounted for 12.0 percent of total New England exports in 2020.
- New England ranked behind Texas, California, Oregon, and Florida in exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing in 2020.
- The total value of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports from New England fell 10.6 percent in 2020 compared to 2019.
New England Information Office • BLSInfoBoston@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-england/ • 617-565-2327
Last Modified Date: August 4, 2021