Import/Export Price Indexes
New England: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The New England region, which consists of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont, exported a total trade dollar value of $64.1 billion in 2022, a 3.4-percent increase from 2021. Prices for the largest export industry in New England, computer and electronic product manufacturing, increased in February. The export price indexes for machinery manufacturing and chemical manufacturing rose over the same period.
Top Six New England Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- New England exports represented 3.1 percent of the U.S. total in 2022.
- The New England states accounted for 5.3 percent of the 2022 U.S. total of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports. Massachusetts alone accounted for 3.2 percent.
- The top six New England export industries accounted for 76.9 percent of the region's total exports in 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.6 percent in February.
- The advance in February was the largest monthly increase for the index since April 2022.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices increased 0.2 percent from February 2022 to February 2023.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices rose 0.2 percent in February.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 6.1 percent over the 12 months ended February 2023.
- The 12-month increase in February was driven by a 9.2-percent rise in prices for commercial and service industry machinery manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports increased 0.5 percent in February.
- Despite the February rise, export chemical manufacturing prices declined 4.8 percent over the past year.
- A 23.6-percent drop in resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments prices led the 12-month decrease in prices for chemical manufacturing.
New England Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing Exporting States by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- Massachusetts exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing accounted for 11.5 percent of total New England exports in 2022.
- New England ranked behind Texas, California, Florida, and Oregon in exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing in 2022.
- The total value of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports from New England rose 0.2 percent in 2022 compared to 2021.
New England Information Office • BLSInfoBoston@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-england/ • 617-565-2327
Last Modified Date: March 22, 2023