New England: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The New England region, which consists of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont, exported a total trade dollar value of $64.1 billion in 2022, a 3.4-percent increase from 2021. Prices for the largest export industry in New England, computer and electronic product manufacturing, advanced in October. Machinery manufacturing export prices increased over the same period, and the export price index for chemical manufacturing declined.
Top Six New England Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- New England exports represented 3.1 percent of the U.S. total in 2022.
- The New England states accounted for 5.3 percent of the 2022 U.S. total of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports. Massachusetts alone accounted for 3.2 percent.
- The top six New England export industries accounted for 76.9 percent of the region's total exports in 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent in October.
- Despite the monthly advance, export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices decreased 1.5 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month drop in the price index for computer and electronic product manufacturing was led by a 5.5-percent decrease in semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices increased 0.1 percent in October.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 4.7 percent over the past year.
- A 5.7-percent increase in other general purpose machinery manufacturing export prices contributed to the 12-month rise in machinery manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 0.3 percent in October.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 3.2 percent over the past year.
- A 7.1-percent decrease in prices for resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing led the 12-month decline in prices for chemical manufacturing.
New England Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing Exporting States by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- Massachusetts exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing accounted for 11.5 percent of total New England exports in 2022.
- New England ranked behind Texas, California, Florida, and Oregon in exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing in 2022.
- The total value of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports from New England rose 0.2 percent in 2022 compared to 2021.
New England Information Office • BLSInfoBoston@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-england/ • 617-565-2327
Last Modified Date: November 24, 2023