New England: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The New England region, which consists of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont, exported a total trade dollar value of $62.0 billion in 2021, a 21.1-percent increase from $51.2 billion in 2020. Prices for the largest export industry in New England, computer and electronic product manufacturing, advanced in April. The export price indexes for chemical manufacturing and machinery manufacturing also increased in March.
Top Six New England Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- The New England states accounted for 5.6 percent of the 2021 U.S. total of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports. Massachusetts alone accounted for 3.2 percent.
- New England exports represented 3.5 percent of the U.S. total in 2021.
- The top six New England export industries accounted for 76.7 percent of the region's total exports in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.5 percent in April.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices advanced 3.7 percent from April 2021 to April 2022.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by an 8.1-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports increased 1.8 percent in April.
- The index for chemical manufacturing prices advanced 6.4 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices was led by a 53.5-percent increase in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing export prices rose 1.4 percent in April.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 7.4 percent over the 12 months ended April 2022.
- The 12-month increase for machinery manufacturing export prices was driven by an 11.0-percent rise in prices for commercial and service industry machinery manufacturing.
New England Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing Exporting States by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- Massachusetts exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing accounted for 11.6 percent of total New England exports in 2021.
- New England ranked behind Texas, California, Oregon, and Florida in exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing in 2021.
- The total value of computer and electronic product manufacturing exports from New England rose 17.3 percent in 2021 compared to 2020.
New England Information Office • BLSInfoBoston@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-england/ • 617-565-2327
Last Modified Date: May 25, 2022