New Jersey and New York: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
Combined exports from New York and New Jersey totaled $139.5 billion in 2021, up 34.7 percent from 2020. New York exports totaled $90.1 billion in 2021 and the export value from New Jersey was $49.4 billion. Prices for primary metal manufacturing, the largest export for the two states, increased in December. Export prices for miscellaneous manufacturing and chemical manufacturing fell over the same period, and computer and electronic product manufacturing recorded no change.
Top Six New Jersey and New York Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- New Jersey and New York exports represented 8.0 percent of the total trade dollar value of U.S. exports in 2021.
- New Jersey and New York exported 38.6 percent of the 2021 U.S. total trade dollar value of $76.8 billion for primary metal manufacturing.
- The top 6 exports from New Jersey and New York accounted for 72.3 percent of the region's total export trade dollar value in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Prices for export primary metal manufacturing increased 2.4 percent in December.
- A 3.7-percent rise in prices for nonferrous metal production and processing drove the December advance in primary metal manufacturing prices.
- The export price index for primary metal manufacturing declined 1.5 percent from December 2021 to December 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Miscellaneous Manufacturing
- Export miscellaneous manufacturing prices declined 0.1 percent in December.
- Despite the December decrease, the index for export miscellaneous manufacturing prices rose 7.1 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in miscellaneous manufacturing export prices was driven by a 13.1-percent increase in prices for jewelry and silverware manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 0.6 percent in December.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 3.6 percent over the past year.
- A 27.1-percent drop in resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments prices led the 12-month decrease in prices for chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices recorded no change in December.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices advanced 1.0 percent from December 2021 to December 2022.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by a 2.5-percent increase in prices for semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing.
New York-New Jersey Information Office • BLSInfoNY@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york-new-jersey/ • 646-264-3600
Last Modified Date: January 24, 2023