Pacific Northwest: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
Exports from the Pacific Northwest—composed of Washington, Oregon, and Alaska—totaled $100.7 billion in 2022, up 12.3 percent from 2021. The price index for the top export industry in the Pacific Northwest, transportation equipment manufacturing, advanced in July. Prices for crop production and machinery manufacturing also increased in July, and computer and electronic product manufacturing decreased over the same period.
Top Six Pacific Northwest Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- Exports from the Pacific Northwest represented 4.9 percent of U.S. exports by trade dollar value in 2022.
- Transportation equipment manufacturing was the largest 2022 export industry in the Pacific Northwest, with the region representing 8.8 percent of total U.S. exports by trade dollar value for the industry.
- The top 6 export industries from the Pacific Northwest accounted for 76.2 percent of the region's total 2022 export trade dollar value.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices ticked up 0.1 percent in July.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 4.0 percent for the 12 months ended July 2023.
- The 12-month rise in prices for export transportation equipment manufacturing was driven by a 7.6-percent advance in prices for aerospace product and parts manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Crop Production
- Crop production export prices advanced 1.6 percent in July.
- Export prices for crop production fell 11.6 percent over the past 12 months.
- An 11.5-percent decrease in prices for oilseed and grain farming contributed to the 12-month decline in prices for crop production.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices declined 0.2 percent in July.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices decreased 2.4 percent for the 12 months ended July 2023.
- The 12-month drop in the price index for computer and electronic product manufacturing was led by a 5.4-percent drop in computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices increased 0.1 in July.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 4.5 percent over the past year.
- A 4.7-percent increase in agriculture, construction, and mining machinery manufacturing export prices contributed to the 12-month rise in machinery manufacturing prices.
Western Information Office • BLSInfoSF@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ • 415-625-2270
Last Modified Date: August 23, 2023