Import/Export Price Indexes
Puerto Rico: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
Total exports for Puerto Rico amounted to $20.7 billion in 2022, a 14.4-percent increase from 2021. Prices for the largest export industry in Puerto Rico, pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing, increased in February. The export price indexes for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing and basic chemical manufacturing also increased in February.
Top Puerto Rico Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- Puerto Rico led U.S. exports of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing in 2022, accounting for 16.5 percent of the total U.S. trade dollar value.
- Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing was Puerto Rico's second largest export in 2022, representing 6.5 percent of total exports for the island.
- Puerto Rico's top 3 exports accounted for approximately 88.2 percent of the territory's total exports in 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing export prices rose 0.6 percent in February.
- The pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing export price index declined 0.6 percent from February 2022 to February 2023.
- A 3.7-percent decrease in pharmaceutical preparation manufacturing prices contributed to the 12-month drop in prices for pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Medical Equipment and Supplies Manufacturing
- Export prices for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing ticked up 0.1 percent in February.
- The index for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing prices advanced 0.4 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in medical equipment and supplies manufacturing prices was led by a 0.3-percent increase in prices for surgical and medical instrument manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Basic Chemical Manufacturing
- Export basic chemical manufacturing prices ticked up 0.1 percent in February.
- The price index for export basic chemical manufacturing declined 3.4 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month decrease in basic chemical manufacturing prices was the largest over-the-year drop since the index fell 3.7 percent from October 2019 to October 2020.
Top States and Territories in Exports for Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing, 2022
- The United States exported $98.8 billion of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing products in 2022.
- Puerto Rico remained the top U.S. exporter of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing in 2022, accounting for 16.5 percent of U.S. exports.
- The next 2 highest states, Indiana and North Carolina, accounted for 10.6 percent and 9.5 percent of 2022 U.S. exports of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing by trade dollar value, respectively.
New York-New Jersey Information Office • BLSInfoNY@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york-new-jersey/ • 646-264-3600
Last Modified Date: March 22, 2023