Puerto Rico: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The export price indexes for the United States include Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories. Total exports for Puerto Rico amounted to $18.1 billion in 2021, a 9.0-percent increase from 2020. Export prices for pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing declined in October. The export price index for basic chemical manufacturing prices also decreased, and medical equipment and supplies manufacturing prices rose in October.
Top Puerto Rico Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- Puerto Rico led U.S. exports of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing in 2021, accounting for 14.6 percent of the total U.S. trade dollar value.
- Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing was Puerto Rico's second largest export in 2021, representing 6.5 percent of total exports for the island.
- Puerto Rico's top 3 exports accounted for approximately 85.2 percent of the territory's total exports in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing export prices declined 0.3 percent in October.
- A 0.4-percent decrease in biological product (except diagnostic) manufacturing prices contributed to the monthly drop in prices for pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing.
- The pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing export price index declined 2.5 percent from October 2021 to October 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Medical Equipment and Supplies Manufacturing
- Export prices for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing ticked up 0.1 percent in October.
- The index for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing prices advanced 2.6 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in medical equipment and supplies manufacturing prices was led by a 2.9-percent increase in prices for surgical and medical instrument manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Basic Chemical Manufacturing
- Export basic chemical manufacturing prices decreased 0.7 percent in October.
- The price index for export basic chemical manufacturing rose 6.0 percent over the past year.
- An 18.0-percent advance in other basic inorganic chemical manufacturing prices drove the 12-month increase in prices for basic chemical manufacturing.
Top States and Territories in Exports for Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing, 2021
- The United States exported $92.6 billion of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing products in 2021.
- Puerto Rico remained the top U.S. exporter of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing in 2021.
- The next 2 highest states, California and Indiana, accounted for 10.3 percent and 10.1 percent of 2021 U.S. exports of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing by trade dollar value.
New York-New Jersey Information Office • BLSInfoNY@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york-new-jersey/ • 646-264-3600
Last Modified Date: November 23, 2022