Puerto Rico: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The export price indexes for the United States include Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories. Total exports for Puerto Rico amounted to $18.1 billion in 2021, a 9.0-percent increase from 2020. Export prices for pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing declined in June. The export price index for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing also decreased, and basic chemical manufacturing export prices advanced over the same period.
Top Puerto Rico Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- Puerto Rico led U.S. exports of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing in 2021, accounting for 14.6 percent of the total U.S. trade dollar value.
- Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing was Puerto Rico's second largest export in 2021, representing 6.5 percent of total exports for the island.
- Puerto Rico's top 3 exports accounted for approximately 85.2 percent of the territory's total exports in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing export prices decreased 0.5 percent in June.
- The pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing export index declined 2.8 percent from June 2021 to June 2022.
- The June 12-month drop was the largest since the index fell 3.0 percent in July 2017.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Medical Equipment and Supplies Manufacturing
- Export prices for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing fell 0.4 percent in June.
- The decline in June was the largest drop since the index decreased 0.8 percent in April 2020.
- The index for medical equipment and supplies manufacturing prices advanced 2.8 percent over the past year.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Basic Chemical Manufacturing
- Export basic chemical manufacturing prices increased 0.2 percent in June.
- The price index for export basic chemical manufacturing rose 10.5 percent over the past year.
- A 9.9-percent increase in prices for other basic organic chemical manufacturing contributed to the 12-month advance in export prices for basic chemical manufacturing.
Top States and Territories in Exports for Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing, 2021
- The United States exported $92.6 billion of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing products in 2021.
- Puerto Rico remained the top U.S. exporter of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing in 2021.
- The next 2 highest states, California and Indiana, accounted for 10.3 percent and 10.1 percent of 2021 U.S. exports of pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing by trade dollar value.
New York-New Jersey Information Office • BLSInfoNY@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york-new-jersey/ • 646-264-3600
Last Modified Date: July 25, 2022