Texas: Price Movements of Top Nonenergy Exports and Other Highlights
Texas remained the top exporting state in 2021, with a total export trade dollar value rising to $375.3 billion, 35.8 percent higher than 2020. Export prices for chemical manufacturing, the largest nonenergy export from Texas, decreased in October. The export indexes for computer and electronic product manufacturing prices aslo declined, machinery manufacturing prices rose, and transportation equipment manufacturing prices were unchanged over the same period.
Top Six Texas Nonenergy Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- The combined value of exports from Texas represented 24.6 percent of the 2021 U.S. total export trade dollar value.
- Texas accounted for 22.7 percent of the total U.S. export trade dollar value for computer and electronic product manufacturing in 2021, ranking first among U.S. states in exports for the industry.
- The top 6 nonenergy exports from Texas accounted for 79.1 percent of the total trade dollar value of Texas nonenergy exports in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 2.4 percent in October.
- A 12.1-percent drop in resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments prices led the monthly decrease in prices for chemical manufacturing.
- The index for export chemical manufacturing prices declined 1.8 percent over the past year.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices decreased 0.2 percent in October.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices advanced 2.3 percent from October 2021 to October 2022.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by a 2.7-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices increased 0.5 percent in October.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 6.7 percent over the 12 months ended October 2022.
- The 12-month rise in machinery manufacturing prices was driven by a 7.5-percent increase in prices for agriculture, construction, and mining machinery manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices were unchanged in October.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices increased 4.0 percent for the 12 months ended October 2022.
- A 7.7-percent advance in motor vehicle parts manufacturing prices drove the 12-month increase in prices for transportation equipment manufacturing.
Southwest Information Office • BLSInfoDallas@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwest/ • 972-850-4800
Last Modified Date: November 23, 2022