Texas: Price Movements of Top Nonenergy Exports and Other Highlights
Texas remained the top exporting state in 2022, with a total export trade dollar value rising to $485.6 billion, 29.0 percent higher than 2021. Export prices for chemical manufacturing, the largest nonenergy export industry from Texas, declined in October. Export prices for machinery manufacturing, transportation equipment manufacturing, and computer and electronic product manufacturing increased in October.
Top Six Texas Nonenergy Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- The combined value of exports from Texas represented 23.5 percent of the 2022 U.S. total export trade dollar value.
- Texas accounted for 22.1 percent of the total U.S. export trade dollar value for chemical manufacturing in 2022, ranking first among U.S. states in exports for the industry.
- The top 6 nonenergy exports from Texas accounted for 79.8 percent of the total trade dollar value of Texas nonenergy exports in 2022.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 0.3 percent in October.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 3.2 percent over the past year.
- A 7.1-percent decrease in prices for resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing led the 12-month decline in prices for chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent in October.
- Despite the monthly advance, export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices decreased 1.5 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month drop in the price index for computer and electronic product manufacturing was led by a 5.5-percent decrease in semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices increased 0.2 percent in October.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices rose 4.8 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month rise in prices for export transportation equipment manufacturing was driven by a 7.2-percent advance in prices for aerospace product and parts manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices increased 0.1 percent in October.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 4.7 percent over the past year.
- A 5.7-percent increase in other general purpose machinery manufacturing export prices contributed to the 12-month rise in machinery manufacturing prices.
Southwest Information Office • BLSInfoDallas@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwest/ • 972-850-4800
Last Modified Date: November 24, 2023