Louisiana and Texas: Price Movements of Top Energy Exports and Other Highlights
Texas and Louisiana accounted for just over $125.8 billion in energy export trade dollar value in 2020. In total, U.S. energy exports fell 22.4 percent in trade dollar value from 2019 to 2020. Overall fuels and lubricants prices climbed 15.3 percent over the past 3 months, and increased 85.4 percent over the past 12 months. The export price indexes for fuel oil and petroleum products increased during the 3 months ended in April. Export prices for other petroleum products also advanced over the 3-month period.
Louisiana & Texas Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- With a combined value of just over $125.8 billion, Texas and Louisiana accounted for 81.1 percent of U.S. energy exports in 2020, up from 79.4 percent of total U.S. energy exports in 2019.
- The trade dollar value of crude petroleum—the largest energy export for Texas and Louisiana—declined 23.0 percent from 2019 to 2020, accounting for around 38.2 percent of 2020 energy exports from the region.
- Natural gas, fuel oil, and other petroleum products (light oils) ranked second, third, and fourth, respectively, for energy exports by trade dollar value in the region.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Fuel Oil
- Export fuel oil prices increased 19.1 percent from January to April.
- The price index for export fuel oil advanced 61.4 percent during the 12 months ended in April.
- The 12-month rise in export fuel oil prices was the largest year-over-year increase since February 2012.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Light Oils and Other Petroleum Products
- Export prices for light oils and other petroleum products advanced 21.6 percent during the 3 months ended in April.
- Light oils and other petroleum products export prices have not declined on a 3-month basis since falling 18.5% in June 2020.
- Prices for export light oils and other petroleum products rose 88.3 percent over the past year.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Petroleum and Petroleum Products
- Export petroleum and petroleum products prices increased 17.9 percent over the past 3 months.
- Prices for export petroleum and petroleum products prices rose 105.3 percent from April 2020 to April 2021.
- The 12-month advance in petroleum and petroleum products prices was the largest year-over-year increase since the index was first published in December 1984.
Top Six States Exporting Energy by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- Texas was the largest energy exporting state in 2020, accounting for 64.8 percent of U.S. energy exports by trade dollar value. Louisiana ranked second, accounting for 16.3 percent.
- North Dakota and Pennsylvania, the third and fourth largest exporting states, both accounted for 2.1 percent of total U.S. energy exports.
- The dollar value of energy exports from Louisiana was more than twice the value from the next four states combined.
Southwest Information Office • BLSInfoDallas@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwest/ • 972-850-4800
Last Modified Date: August 4, 2021