Louisiana and Texas: Price Movements of Top Energy Exports and Other Highlights
Texas and Louisiana accounted for $197.9 billion in energy export trade dollar value in 2021. U.S. energy exports advanced 56.8 percent in trade dollar value from 2020 to 2021. Overall fuels and lubricants prices rose 1.4 percent in October and increased 21.0 percent over the past 12 months. Export fuel oil, light oils and other petroleum products, and prices for and coals and related fuels advanced in October.
Louisiana & Texas Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- With a combined value of $197.9 billion, energy exports from Texas and Louisiana represented 82.4 percent of U.S. energy exports in 2021, up from 81.1 percent in 2020.
- The trade dollar value of crude petroleum—the largest energy export for Texas and Louisiana—rose 42.2 percent from 2020 to 2021, accounting for around 34.0 percent of 2021 energy exports from the region.
- Natural gas, light oils and other petroleum products, and fuel oil ranked second, third, and fourth, respectively, for 2021 energy exports by trade dollar value in the region.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Light Oils and Other Petroleum Products
- Export prices for light oils and other petroleum products rose 9.5 percent in October.
- The rise in prices for light oils and other petroleum products in October was the first monthly advance since the index increased 9.3 percent in June 2022.
- The price index for export light oils advanced 27.0 percent over the past 12 months.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Fuel Oil
- Export fuel oil prices increased 7.2 percent in October.
- The rise in October was the largest monthly advance since the index increased 22.2 percent in May 2022.
- Fuel oil export prices rose 58.3 percent over the past 12 months.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Coals and Related Fuels
- Export coals and related fuels prices increased 4.8 percent in October.
- The price index for export coals and related fuels advanced 52.5 percent from October 2021 to October 2022.
- The 12-month advance in export coals and related fuels prices was the smallest increase since the index rose 48.9 percent from October 2020 to October 2021.
Top Six States Exporting Energy by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- Texas was the largest energy exporting state in 2021, accounting for 67.8 percent of U.S. energy exports by trade dollar value. Louisiana ranked second, exporting 14.6 percent of the U.S. total.
- The dollar value of 2021 energy exports from Louisiana was more than twice the value from the next four states combined.
- California and Pennsylvania—the third and fourth largest exporting states—accounted for 1.7 and 1.6 percent, respectively, of total U.S. energy exports in 2021.
Southwest Information Office • BLSInfoDallas@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwest/ • 972-850-4800
Last Modified Date: November 23, 2022