High-income households spent half of their food budget on food away from home in 2015
October 05, 2016
In 2015, U.S. households spent an average of $7,023 (12.5 percent of income) on food. Spending data on food is broken into two main categories: food at home, which includes unprepared foods like those bought at grocery stores; and food away from home, such as food at a restaurant. For the average household, spending on food at home accounted for about 57 percent ($4,015) of all food spending, while food away from home accounted for the other 43 percent ($3,008). Compared to lower income households, higher income households spent more money on food; higher income households also spent a greater share of their food budget on food away from home.
|Income group||Food, total||Food at home||Food away from home||Share of food spending
spent on food at home
|Share of food spending
spent on food away from home
Households in the top 20 percent of income spent an average of $12,350 on food in 2015, 49 percent of which went toward food away from home. In contrast, households in the lowest 20 percent of income spent $3,767 on food, and 34 percent of that was for food away from home.
In general, the share of total income spent on food was higher for lower income households than it was for higher income households. Those with earnings in the lowest 20 percent of income spent an average of 15.4 percent of their income on food. Households with incomes in the middle 20 percent spent 12.6 percent of income on food. Households in the highest 20 percent of income spent 11.2 percent of their income on food.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, High-income households spent half of their food budget on food away from home in 2015 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/high-income-households-spent-half-of-their-food-budget-on-food-away-from-home-in-2015.htm (visited December 09, 2019).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
- A look at employment and wages in U.S. establishments with foreign ownership
Examines employment and wages in U.S. establishments that have at least one foreign owner with at least 10 percent ownership.
- 25 years of Worker Injury, Illness, and Fatality Case Data
Examines detailed historical data on work-related injuries, illnesses, and fatal injuries.
- Occupational employment projections through the perspective of education and training
Examines employment, projected employment growth, and wages for occupations with different education and training requirements.
- Workers in Alternative Employment Arrangements
A look at independent contractors, on-call workers, temporary help agency workers, and workers provided by contract firms.