Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Compensation costs in San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland averaged $56.92 per hour in March 2018

June 13, 2018

Employer costs for employee compensation for private industry workers averaged $34.17 per hour worked in March 2018. Wages and salaries averaged $23.76 per hour worked and accounted for 69.5 percent of these costs. Benefit costs averaged $10.41 and accounted for the remaining 30.5 percent. In the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, California, area, total compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $56.92 per hour worked in March 2018.

Employer costs per hour worked for employee compensation, private industry workers in selected metropolitan areas, March 2018
Metropolitan area Total compensation Wages and salaries Benefits

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA

$56.92 $39.81 $17.12

New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA

45.61 30.47 15.14

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA

43.38 29.90 13.48

Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-NH

43.32 29.60 13.73

Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX

39.03 27.76 11.26

Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV

38.97 27.74 11.23

Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI

37.85 25.13 12.72

Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

37.19 26.24 10.95

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA

36.96 26.30 10.66

Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD

36.48 24.96 11.52

Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI

36.23 25.95 10.28

Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI

35.84 24.83 11.01

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL

34.17 23.94 10.23

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

33.27 24.07 9.20

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL

31.32 22.40 8.92

In the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, Florida, area, compensation costs averaged $31.32 per hour worked in March 2018.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — March 2018." BLS publishes data on total compensation, wages and salaries, and benefit costs in private industry for 15 areas.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Compensation costs in San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland averaged $56.92 per hour in March 2018 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2018/compensation-costs-in-san-jose-san-francisco-oakland-averaged-56-point-92-per-hour-in-march-2018.htm (visited July 14, 2020).

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics

triangle