Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Real hourly earnings down 1.2 percent for year ending July 2021

August 17, 2021

Real (adjusted for inflation) average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.1 percent from June to July 2021. This result stems from an increase of 0.4 percent in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.5 percent in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers.

1-month and 12-month changes in real average hourly earnings for all employees and production and nonsupervisory employees, seasonally adjusted, January 2020–July 2021
Month 1-month percent change 12-month percent change
 All employees  Production and
nonsupervisory
employees
 All employees  Production and
nonsupervisory
employees

Jan 2020

0.1% 0.0% 0.5% 0.7%

Feb 2020

0.3 0.3 0.7 1.0

Mar 2020

1.1 1.2 2.0 2.3

Apr 2020

5.4 5.0 7.8 7.7

May 2020

-1.0 -0.5 6.4 6.7

Jun 2020

-1.8 -1.5 4.2 4.9

Jul 2020

-0.4 -1.0 3.6 3.7

Aug 2020

0.0 0.1 3.4 3.5

Sep 2020

-0.2 -0.3 3.4 3.1

Oct 2020

-0.1 0.0 3.3 3.2

Nov 2020

0.2 0.2 3.4 3.4

Dec 2020

0.8 0.6 4.2 4.0

Jan 2021

-0.3 -0.3 3.8 3.7

Feb 2021

-0.1 -0.1 3.4 3.3

Mar 2021

-0.7 -0.5 1.6 1.6

Apr 2021

-0.1 -0.1 -3.7 -3.4

May 2021

-0.2 -0.1 -2.8 -3.0

Jun 2021

-0.5 -0.6 -1.6 -2.1

Jul 2021

-0.1 0.0 -1.2 -1.1

Over the 12 months from July 2020 to July 2021, real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 1.2 percent.

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees were unchanged from June to July 2021. This result stems from a 0.4-percent increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.5 percent in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers.

From July 2020 to July 2021, real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 1.1 percent.

These data are from the Current Employment Statistics survey and are seasonally adjusted. Earnings for the most recent 2 months are preliminary. For more information, see "Real Earnings — July 2021." The Consumer Price Index is used to adjust earnings for inflation.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Real hourly earnings down 1.2 percent for year ending July 2021 at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2021/real-hourly-earnings-down-1-2-percent-for-year-ending-july-2021.htm (visited November 29, 2021).

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics

triangle