Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Hourly employer costs for legally required benefits in private industry averaged $3.11 in September

January 02, 2024

In September 2023, total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $41.53 per hour worked. Wages and salaries averaged $29.34 per hour worked and accounted for 70.6 percent of employer costs, while benefit costs averaged $12.19 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 29.4 percent.

Employer costs for legally required benefits by occupational group, private industry, September 2023
Occupational group Total legally required benefits Federal unemployment insurance State unemployment insurance Workers' compensation Medicare Social Security

All occupations

3.11 0.03 0.14 0.46 0.49 1.99

Management, professional, and related

4.57 0.03 0.15 0.33 0.83 3.24

Natural resources, construction, and maintenance

3.88 0.02 0.17 1.13 0.49 2.07

Production, transportation, and material moving

2.83 0.03 0.13 0.71 0.38 1.58

Sales and office

2.38 0.03 0.13 0.26 0.38 1.59

Service

1.91 0.03 0.13 0.35 0.26 1.13

Employer costs for legally required benefits for private industry workers averaged $3.11 per hour worked in September 2023. Among occupational groups, legally required benefit costs for management, professional, and related occupations were $4.57. Costs for natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations were $3.88, followed by production, transportation, and material moving occupations ($2.83), sales and office occupations ($2.38) and service occupations ($1.91).

Legally required benefits for private industry workers in September 2023 included Social Security (averaging $1.99 per hour worked), Medicare ($0.49), workers’ compensation ($0.46), state unemployment insurance ($0.14), and federal unemployment insurance ($0.03).

These data are from the Employer Costs for Employee Compensation program and are not seasonally adjusted. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — September 2023." We also have more charts on the latest Employer Costs for Employee Compensation news release.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Hourly employer costs for legally required benefits in private industry averaged $3.11 in September at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2024/hourly-employer-costs-for-legally-required-benefits-in-private-industry-averaged-3-11-in-september-2023.htm (visited April 13, 2024).

OF INTEREST
spotlight
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics


triangle