Bureau of Labor Statistics
We invite you to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Workforce Data Forum
in Dallas on August 27, 2015.
• BLS economists and Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) analysts will review local labor market data available from the agencies. These presentations will explain how you may use local data in your own analyses and how to access this information.
• You will also have the opportunity to take part in smaller breakout sessions moderated by BLS staff. These interactive discussions will focus on your specific data needs, including requests for new material and additional products.
When: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Thursday, August 27, 2015
Where: Southwest Workforce Center, 7330 S. Westmoreland Road, Suite 200, Dallas, Texas 75237
Agenda: See below
Registration: Pre-registration is required
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is the principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy. Its mission is to collect, analyze, and disseminate economic information to support public and private decision-making.
This forum is directed at workforce data users, Chambers of Commerce, and similar organizations from north central Texas. You will learn about local labor market data produced by BLS and TWC, and be shown how the presentation of the same information may differ on the agency websites. BLS and TWC staff will offer suggestions on how to better utilize the data to serve your own user communities. Additionally, the forum will include breakout sessions to allow for the discussion of your workforce data challenges and provide participants an opportunity to voice specific data needs and preferred website options.
The focus of the event is local workforce data covering employment, unemployment, and wages:
- Occupational Employment Statistics
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages
- Current Employment Statistics for States and Areas
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics
- National Compensation Survey
Agenda–BLS Workforce Data Forum
Space is limited and registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis, but online pre-registration is required.
Hosted by the Dallas Regional Office of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
August 27, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m. Registration Opens
1:00 p.m. BLS Welcome
Regional Commissioner Stan Suchman, Dallas
Assistant Commissioner Rebecca Rust, Office of Occupational Statistics and Employment Projections, Washington, D.C.
1:15 p.m. Presentation by BLS Regional Economist Cheryl Abbot
How to navigate www.bls.gov and better utilize BLS local area data
2:00 p.m. Presentation by TWC Labor Market Analyst Veronica Downey-Sanchez
Local labor market data available from TWC
2:30 p.m. Break
3:00 p.m. User break-out discussions moderated by BLS staff
What are your local data needs and how can BLS and TWC help?
4:30 p.m. Closing remarks
5:00 p.m. Adjourn
Contact InformationPlease contact the BLS Dallas Office of Economic Analysis and Information if you have any questions.
Email: BLSInfoDallas@bls.gov or
Phone: 972-850-4800 (menu option zero)