Employer costs for employee compensation, December 2012
March 21, 2013
Private industry employers spent an average of $28.89 per hour worked for total employee compensation in December 2012. Wages and salaries averaged $20.32 per hour worked and accounted for 70.3 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $8.57 and accounted for the remaining 29.7 percent.
|Occupational group||Total||Wages and salaries||Benefits|
Management, professional, and related
Sales and office
Of total benefit costs, private industry employer costs for paid leave benefits in December 2012 averaged $1.98 per hour worked, or 6.9 percent of total compensation. Included in this amount were employer costs for vacations, holidays, sick leave and personal leave.
Paid leave costs vary widely by full-time and part-time status and bargaining unit status. Paid leave for all full-time workers in private industry were $2.52 per hour worked (7.5 percent of total compensation), significantly higher than part-time workers at just 42 cents (2.8 percent). Paid leave costs for union workers were $2.82 per hour worked (7.1 percent of total compensation) versus $1.90 (6.8 percent) for nonunion workers.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Employer costs for employee compensation, December 2012 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2013/ted_20130321.htm (visited January 24, 2017).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
Workplace injuries and illnesses and employer costs for workers’ compensation
Workplace injury and illness data and the costs to employers for workers’ compensation in natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations.
A look at the future of the U.S. labor force to 2060
Projected long-term trends in the growth, size, and composition of the labor force.
Union membership in the United States
Historical trends in union membership among employed wage and salary workers; union membership by a variety of demographic characteristics.
A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices
Spending on healthcare, current and projected employment in the industry, employer-provided healthcare benefits, healthcare prices, and pay for workers in healthcare occupations.
Self-employment in the United States
Trends in self-employment by various demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, including both the unincorporated and the incorporated self-employed, as well as data on paid employees who work for the self-employed.