Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Employer costs for employee compensation, June 2014

September 12, 2014

In June 2014, the average cost per hour worked for employee compensation among private industry employers varied considerably by major occupational group. In management, professional, and related occupations, for example, employers spent an average of $53.52 per hour worked ($37.20 for wages and salaries and $16.33 for benefits), while in service occupations, employer costs were $14.10 per hour ($10.72 for wages and salaries and $3.39 for benefits).

 

Employer costs per hour worked for employee compensation by occupational group, private industry, June 2014
Compensation component Management, professional, and related Sales and office Service Natural resources, construction, and maintenance Production, transportation, and material moving

Total compensation

$53.52 $23.24 $14.10 $33.46 $26.14

Total benefits

16.33 6.72 3.39 11.04 8.89

Paid leave

4.61 1.43 0.56 1.77 1.57

Supplemental pay

1.62 0.55 0.24 1.00 0.96

Insurance

3.87 2.18 0.88 2.98 2.88

Retirement and savings

2.61 0.71 0.22 2.00 0.99

Legally required benefits

3.62 1.85 1.49 3.30 2.51

Wages and salaries

37.20 16.53 10.72 22.41 17.24

Note: Sum of individual items may not equal totals because of rounding.

Among all private industry workers, employers spent an average of $30.11 per hour worked for employee compensation in June; wages and salaries averaged $21.02 per hour worked and accounted for 69.8 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $9.09 and accounted for the remaining 30.2 percent.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — June 2014" (HTML) (PDF), news release USDL-14-1673.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Employer costs for employee compensation, June 2014 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2014/ted_20140912.htm (visited August 09, 2020).

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics

triangle