Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Coverage in employer medical care plans among workers in different wage groups in 2022

March 09, 2023

Seventy percent of private industry workers had access to medical care benefits in March 2022. Forty-seven percent of workers participated in a medical care plan offered by their employer, resulting in a take-up rate of 66 percent. The take-up rate is the percent of workers with access to an employer-sponsored benefit who choose to participate in the benefit. Twenty-six percent of private industry workers with an average wage in the lowest 10 percent had access to employer-sponsored medical plans in March 2022, while 96 percent of workers with an average wage in the highest 10 percent had access to such plans.

Percent of private industry workers with access to and participating in medical care benefits by wage group, March 2022
Wage group Access Participation Take-up rate

All workers

70% 47% 66%

Lowest 10 percent

26 12 45

Lowest 25 percent

38 20 52

Second 25 percent

72 45 63

Third 25 percent

87 60 70

Highest 25 percent

94 69 74

Highest 10 percent

96 71 74

Private industry employers paid 67 percent of premiums for family medical care coverage in March 2022. Workers participating in these plans paid the remaining 33 percent. Employers paid 59 percent of premiums for workers with the lowest 10 percent of wages and 71 percent of premiums for workers with the highest 10 percent of wages.

Percent of medical care premiums paid by employer and employee for private industry workers by wage group, March 2022
Wage group and type of coverage Employer share Employee share

Family coverage

All workers

67% 33%

Lowest 10 percent

59 41

Lowest 25 percent

62 38

Second 25 percent

64 36

Third 25 percent

67 33

Highest 25 percent

70 30

Highest 10 percent

71 29

Single coverage

All workers

78 22

Lowest 10 percent

76 24

Lowest 25 percent

77 23

Second 25 percent

77 23

Third 25 percent

78 22

Highest 25 percent

80 20

Highest 10 percent

80 20

For single coverage plans, employers paid 78 percent of medical premiums, and employees paid 22 percent. Employers paid 76 percent of premiums for workers with the lowest 10 percent of wages and 80 percent of premiums for those with the highest 10 percent of wages.

These data are from the National Compensation Survey — Benefits program. For more information, see “Employee Benefits in the United States — March 2022.” We also have more charts on employee benefits. Medical care plans provide services or payments for services in a hospital or by a qualified medical care provider.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Coverage in employer medical care plans among workers in different wage groups in 2022 at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2023/coverage-in-employer-medical-care-plans-among-workers-in-different-wage-groups-in-2022.htm (visited May 23, 2024).

OF INTEREST
spotlight
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics


triangle