Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Compensation costs for civilian workers averaged $46.14 per hour worked in March 2024

July 03, 2024

Total employer compensation costs for civilian workers averaged $46.14 per hour worked in March 2024. Benefits cost employers $14.41 and accounted for 31.2 percent of total costs, while wages and salaries benefits cost $31.72 and accounted for the remaining 68.8 percent. 

Employer compensation costs per hour worked, March 2024
Compensation component Civilian workers(1) Private industry workers State and local government workers
Cost ($) Percent of compensation (%) Cost ($) Percent of compensation (%) Cost ($) Percent of compensation (%)

Total compensation

46.14 100.0 43.78 100.0 61.27 100.0

Total benefits

14.41 31.2 13.02 29.7 23.37 38.1

Wages and salaries

31.72 68.8 30.76 70.3 37.90 61.9

Note: (1) Includes workers in the private nonfarm economy except those in private households, and workers in the public sector, except the federal government.

For private industry workers, total employer compensation costs averaged $43.78 per hour worked. Wage and salary costs averaged $30.76 and made up 70.3 percent of employer costs, while benefit costs were $13.02 and accounted for 29.7 percent. Total employer compensation costs for state and local government averaged $61.27 per hour worked. Wages and salaries averaged $37.90 per hour worked and represented 61.9 percent of total compensation costs, while benefit costs averaged $23.37 and accounted for the remaining 38.1 percent.

Employer costs per hour worked for employee benefits, March 2024
Benefit Civilian workers(1) (in dollars) Private industry workers (in dollars) State and local government workers (in dollars)

Paid leave

3.46 3.31 4.46

Paid vacation leave

1.69 1.69 1.66

Paid holiday leave

1.02 0.97 1.29

Paid sick leave

0.53 0.43 1.16

Paid personal leave

0.23 0.21 0.36

Supplemental pay

1.62 1.77 0.61

Overtime and premium pay

0.41 0.43 0.27

Shift differential pay

0.08 0.08 0.06

Nonproduction bonuses

1.13 1.26 0.28

Insurance

3.70 3.20 6.90

Life insurance

0.06 0.05 0.09

Health insurance

3.50 3.00 6.73

Short-term disability insurance

0.09 0.10 0.03

Long-term disability insurance

0.05 0.05 0.06

Retirement and savings

2.42 1.52 8.14

Defined benefit retirement

1.39 0.43 7.58

Defined contribution retirement

1.02 1.10 0.56

Legally Required benefits

3.21 3.21 3.26

Social Security and Medicare

2.61 2.61 2.60

Federal unemployment insurance

0.03 0.03 -

State unemployment insurance

0.13 0.14 0.07

Workers' compensation

0.45 0.43 0.59

Note: (1) Includes workers in the private nonfarm economy except those in private households, and workers in the public sector, except the federal government.

Paid leave costs for civilian workers averaged $3.46 per hour worked in March 2024 and accounted for 7.5 percent of total compensation costs. Paid leave costs averaged $3.31 per hour worked for private industry workers and $4.46 for workers in state and local government. Insurance costs averaged $3.70 per hour worked for civilian workers, $3.20 for private industry workers, and $6.90 for state and local government workers.

These data are from the Employer Costs for Employee Compensation program and are not seasonally adjusted. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — March 2024." We also have more charts on employer costs for employee compensation. 

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Compensation costs for civilian workers averaged $46.14 per hour worked in March 2024 at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2024/compensation-costs-for-civilian-workers-averaged-46-14-per-hour-worked-in-march-2024.htm (visited July 22, 2024).

OF INTEREST
spotlight
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics


triangle