JOLTS State Estimates: Frequently Asked Questions
Are data available for Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), counties, or cities?
At what geographic and industry levels are JOLTS state estimates produced?
- Where can I review the methodology used in the production of this series?
How frequently will the JOLTS state estimates be released?
- JOLTS state estimates are only produced statewide at the total nonfarm industry level.
Are other separations available for these data series?
- JOLTS state estimates are released monthly, approximately two weeks following the JOLTS national release. The first state monthly release began
in October 2021 for August preliminary and July final data.
Are JOLTS state sample sizes available at this time?
- While other separations are one of the three components of total separations (quits, layoffs & discharges, and other separations), other separations
are not published, as this component represents a small portion of total separations (less than 6 percent), in addition to a large amount of volatility in
relation to the other separations level.
Are JOLTS state seasonally adjusted estimates available?
- JOLTS state sample-based and model-based components are available. The JOLTS state estimates
Sample Allocation table provides a snapshot of the sample size allocation
used to produce the state estimates. The JOLTS state model incorporates sample data, JOLTS regional-level estimates, Current Employment
Statistics state estimates, and Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages establishment counts.
Are error measures available for JOLTS state estimates?
- Yes. As of October 2021, state seasonally adjusted estimates are released monthly in the state press release. Historical seasonally adjusted estimates are
provided back to December 2000 and are included in the JOLTS LABSTAT database. You can find more information on the JOLTS state seasonally adjusted
section of the methodology page.
Are JOLTS state estimates still published as 3-month moving averages?
- Error measures are available for JOLTS state estimates. These error measures are found on the JOLTS Median Standard Errors page
and will be updated annually in June of each year.
- JOLTS discontinued the publication of 3-month moving averages on June 30, 2021. Data users now have access to “real-time” monthly data
which removes the lag due to a 3-month moving averages.
Last Modified Date: November 19, 2021