Private employer costs for pay and benefits averaged $42.20 per hour in Middle Atlantic states
December 26, 2017
Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $33.55 per hour worked for private industry workers in September 2017. Wages and salaries averaged $23.35 per hour worked and accounted for 69.6 percent of these costs. Benefits costs averaged $10.20 and accounted for the remaining 30.4 percent. Average costs for pay and benefits ranged from $42.20 per hour in the Middle Atlantic states to $25.99 in the East South Central states.
|Compensation component||New England||Middle Atlantic||South Atlantic||East South Central||West South Central||East North Central||West North Central||Mountain||Pacific|
Wages and salaries
Retirement and savings
Legally required benefits
The states (including the District of Columbia) that compose the census divisions are:
New England: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont
Middle Atlantic: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania
South Atlantic: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia
East South Central: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee
West South Central: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas
East North Central: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin
West North Central: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota
Mountain: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming
Pacific: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington.
These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — September 2017" (HTML) (PDF). Supplemental pay includes employer costs for employee overtime and premium pay, shift differentials, and nonproduction bonuses. Common nonproduction bonuses include end-of-year and holiday bonuses, referral bonuses, and cash profit sharing. Legally required benefits include Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, and workers’ compensation.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Private employer costs for pay and benefits averaged $42.20 per hour in Middle Atlantic states on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2017/private-employer-costs-for-pay-and-benefits-averaged-42-point-20-per-hour-in-middle-atlantic-states.htm (visited November 14, 2019).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
- A look at employment and wages in U.S. establishments with foreign ownership
Examines employment and wages in U.S. establishments that have at least one foreign owner with at least 10 percent ownership.
- 25 years of Worker Injury, Illness, and Fatality Case Data
Examines detailed historical data on work-related injuries, illnesses, and fatal injuries.
- Occupational employment projections through the perspective of education and training
Examines employment, projected employment growth, and wages for occupations with different education and training requirements.
- Workers in Alternative Employment Arrangements
A look at independent contractors, on-call workers, temporary help agency workers, and workers provided by contract firms.