Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $36.63 per hour worked in September 2018
December 21, 2018
Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $36.63 per hour worked in September 2018. Wages and salaries averaged $25.03 per hour worked and accounted for 68.3 percent of these costs. Benefit costs averaged $11.60 and accounted for the remaining 31.7 percent. Employer compensation costs for private industry workers average $34.53 per hour worked, compared with an average of $50.03 for state and local government workers.
|Compensation||Civilian workers||Private industry workers||State and local government workers|
Wages and salaries
Retirement and savings
In September 2018, private industry employer costs for paid leave benefits averaged $2.41 per hour worked or 7.0 percent of total compensation, supplemental pay averaged $1.32 or 3.8 percent, insurance benefits averaged $2.74 or 7.9 percent, retirement and savings costs averaged $1.35 or 3.9 percent, and legally required benefits averaged $2.66 per hour worked or 7.7 percent.
For state and local government workers in September 2018, employers spent $5.82 per hour worked, or 11.6 percent of total compensation for retirement and savings benefits. Insurance benefit costs averaged $5.93 per hour, or 11.9 percent of total compensation. The average cost for paid leave was $3.76 per hour worked, or 7.5 percent of total compensation.
These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — September 2018." Also see charts of the latest Employer Costs for Employee Compensation data.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $36.63 per hour worked in September 2018 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2018/employer-costs-for-employee-compensation-averaged-36-point-63-per-hour-worked-in-september-2018.htm (visited April 01, 2020).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
- Labor Market Activity of Blacks in the United States
Examines data on the labor market and related topics for the Black or African American population.
- Workers’ Access to and Use of Leave from Their Jobs in 2017–18
Examines the reasons for which workers can take leave, their use of leave, and the reasons they did not take available leave even when they needed to.
- A look at employment and wages in U.S. establishments with foreign ownership
Examines employment and wages in U.S. establishments that have at least one foreign owner with at least 10 percent ownership.
- 25 years of Worker Injury, Illness, and Fatality Case Data
Examines detailed historical data on work-related injuries, illnesses, and fatal injuries.