Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

70 percent of private industry workers had access to medical care benefits in 2022

December 30, 2022

Seventy percent of private industry workers had access to medical care benefits in March 2022. Forty-seven percent of workers participated in a medical care plan offered by their employer, resulting in a take-up rate of 66 percent. The take-up rate is the percent of workers with access to an employer-sponsored benefit who choose to participate in the benefit. Access, participation, and take-up rates varied among the geographic areas. In Pacific states, 74 percent of private industry workers had access to medical care benefits. In West South Central states, 67 percent had access.

Percent of private industry workers with access to and participating in medical care benefits by census region and division, March 2022
Area Access rate Participation rate Take-up rate

Total

70% 47% 66%

Northeast

69 46 67

New England

68 46 67

Middle Atlantic

69 47 67

South

69 44 64

South Atlantic

70 44 63

East South Central

69 46 66

West South Central

67 43 64

Midwest

71 47 66

East North Central

72 48 66

West North Central

70 45 65

West

73 51 69

Mountain

73 49 68

Pacific

74 52 70

Private industry employers paid 67 percent of premiums on average for family medical care coverage in March 2022. Workers participating in these plans paid the remaining 33 percent. Employers paid 71 percent of premiums in Middle Atlantic states and 61 percent of premiums in West South Central states.

Share of medical care premiums paid by employer and employee for family coverage, private industry workers, March 2022
Area Employer Employee

Total

67% 33%

Northeast

71 29

New England

70 30

Middle Atlantic

71 29

South

63 37

South Atlantic

64 36

East South Central

63 37

West South Central

61 39

Midwest

69 31

East North Central

69 31

West North Central

68 32

West

66 34

Mountain

64 36

Pacific

67 33

These data are from the National Compensation Survey — Benefits program. For more information, see "Employee Benefits in the United States — March 2022" and our detailed bulletin about benefits. We also have more charts on employee benefits. Medical care plans provide services or payments for services in a hospital or by a qualified medical care provider.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, 70 percent of private industry workers had access to medical care benefits in 2022 at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2022/70-percent-of-private-industry-workers-had-access-to-medical-care-benefits-in-2022.htm (visited February 03, 2023).

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics



triangle