This page provides tools to access CE data.
- Data Finder allows you to search for selected time series for variables by characteristics, create charts and tables, and export the data into Excel and CSV.
- One-Screen Data Search allows you to produce customized time series by households and their characteristics. Data can be exported into Excel through a single-screen form.
- Multi-Screen Data Search allows you to produce customized time series by households and their characteristics. Data can be exported into Excel through a multi-screen form.
- Tables link to the CE tables page.
The files listed below provide codes and series ID files to generate time series data sets of most CE information found in the annual average tables. In addition, some text files provide data. You can generate time series by entering Series ID into the Series Report.
You can create series IDs with the One-Screen Data Search or the Multi-Screen Data Search. Click through the options, and data searches provide the series ID and the respective data. The overview of CE database codes describes the codes of the series IDs. The following files list the specific codes:
- "cx.category" lists the codes for CE's main data types: Expenditures, income and taxes, assets and liabilities, and consumer characteristics.
- "cx.subcategory" lists codes for subcategories, including apparel, food, health, housing, transportation, and income.
- "cx.item" lists item codes. For example, the CE program provides apparel items, such as women and girls, or apparel for girls 2 to 15.
- "cx.series" file contains a set of codes which, together, comprise a series identification code that serves to uniquely identify a single time series, such as "Women, 16 and over by Income Deciles: Ninth 10 percent."
- "cx.data.1.AllData" is a data file that lists Series IDs, years, periods, and data values.
- "cx.demographics" lists codes for major demographic breakouts, such as income by quintile, or age of reference person.
- "cx.characteristics" lists the codes for each demographic category. For example, for income by quintile, the file lists all five quintiles separately and all consumer units together.
- "cx.footnote" lists the footnotes of the published CE tables.
- "cx.process" provides the code to identify the data provided by this database as annual means for all households.
- "cx.contacts" provides CE contact information.
The next data release of the annual time series data should be in September, 2019.