Benefits, retirement and savings make up larger percentage of government employee compensation

December 16, 2015

Over the last 10 years, state and local government employer costs for employee benefits have increased as a share of total compensation. This can be mostly attributed to increases in retirement and savings, specifically defined benefit plans. Retirement and savings as a share of total compensation increased from 6.6 percent in March 2005 to 10.4 percent in September 2015.

Percent of employer costs for employee compensation by component, state and local government
DateWages and salariesPaid leaveSupplemental payInsuranceRetirement and savingsLegally required benefits

Mar 2005

68.37.60.910.66.65.9

Jun 2005

68.27.60.910.76.65.9

Sep 2005

67.87.50.910.96.95.9

Dec 2005

67.97.40.910.96.95.9

Mar 2006

67.67.80.910.96.95.9

Jun 2006

67.47.90.911.06.95.9

Sep 2006

67.37.80.911.07.15.9

Dec 2006

67.37.80.811.07.25.8

Mar 2007

67.07.80.911.37.35.8

Jun 2007

66.67.90.911.47.45.8

Sep 2007

66.57.80.911.47.75.8

Dec 2007

66.47.90.911.37.66.0

Mar 2008

65.98.20.911.47.66.0

Jun 2008

65.88.30.911.37.76.0

Sep 2008

65.88.30.911.27.95.9

Dec 2008

65.98.20.911.37.85.9

Mar 2009

65.78.20.911.38.05.9

Jun 2009

65.68.20.911.48.06.0

Sep 2009

65.97.60.911.58.16.0

Dec 2009

65.97.60.811.68.16.0

Mar 2010

65.97.50.811.87.96.0

Jun 2010

65.77.60.911.88.06.0

Sep 2010

65.57.60.812.08.16.0

Dec 2010

65.67.50.811.98.16.0

Mar 2011

65.57.50.812.08.26.0

Jun 2011

65.47.50.812.08.26.1

Sep 2011

65.27.40.812.08.46.1

Dec 2011

65.47.40.811.98.36.1

Mar 2012

65.27.30.812.08.56.1

Jun 2012

65.07.40.812.18.56.2

Sep 2012

64.77.40.812.18.96.1

Dec 2012

65.07.40.812.08.86.1

Mar 2013

64.87.30.812.19.06.0

Jun 2013

64.57.40.812.29.06.1

Sep 2013

64.47.30.812.19.36.0

Dec 2013

64.57.30.812.09.46.0

Mar 2014

64.47.30.811.99.66.0

Jun 2014

64.07.30.812.09.95.9

Sep 2014

64.07.30.812.010.05.9

Dec 2014

64.17.30.811.910.15.9

Mar 2015

64.07.30.811.910.25.9

Jun 2015

63.87.30.811.910.25.9

Sep 2015

63.77.30.812.010.45.9

State and local government employers spent an average of $44.66 per hour worked for employee compensation in September 2015. Wages and salaries averaged $28.45 per hour and accounted for 63.7 percent of compensation costs, while benefits averaged $16.21 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 36.3 percent. In March 2005, employee benefits as a share of total compensation were $11.24 an hour or 31.7 percent.

In March 2005, state and local government employers spent an average of $35.50 per hour worked for employee compensation; $24.26 or 68.3 percent of this was spent on wages and salaries.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see “Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — September 2015” (HTML) (PDF).

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Benefits, retirement and savings make up larger percentage of government employee compensation on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/benefits-retirement-and-savings-make-up-larger-percentage-of-government-employee-compensation.htm (visited January 21, 2019).

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics