Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Compensation costs for information industry averaged $57.29 per hour worked in December 2018

March 28, 2019

Employer costs for employee compensation for private industry workers averaged $34.05 per hour worked in December 2018. Wages and salaries averaged $23.85 per hour worked and accounted for 70.0 percent of these costs. Benefit costs averaged $10.20 and accounted for the remaining 30.0 percent. The information industry had the highest total compensation costs in December, $57.29 per hour worked, including $37.98 for wages and salaries and $19.31 for benefits.

Private industry employer costs per hour worked for employee compensation by major industry group, December 2018
Industry Total compensation Wages and salaries Benefits

All workers

$34.05 $23.85 $10.20


57.29 37.98 19.31

Financial activities

46.67 31.40 15.26

Professional and business services

40.65 29.25 11.41


39.19 27.12 12.07


39.09 25.59 13.49

Education and health services

36.85 25.92 10.93

Other services

28.93 21.11 7.82

Trade, transportation, and utilities

28.22 19.82 8.40

Leisure and hospitality

15.40 12.05 3.35

Total employer compensation costs in December averaged $46.67 per hour worked in financial activities and $40.65 in professional and business services.

Employer compensation costs in leisure and hospitality averaged $15.40 per hour worked. Wages and salaries averaged $12.05, and benefit costs averaged $3.35.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — December 2018." We also have more charts on employer costs for employee compensation.


Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Compensation costs for information industry averaged $57.29 per hour worked in December 2018 at (visited June 22, 2024).

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics