Consumption Research Homepage
BLS and outside sources have published numerous research papers and reports that relate to consumption measurement; we limit citations to those published between 2003 and 2022. This page also provides information on BLS past and upcoming presentations. Reference the resources at the bottom of this page to learn more about consumption research.
- Garner, Thesia, Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, Grayson Armstrong, Caleb Cho, and Juan Munoz. "Building a Consumption Poverty Measure: Initial Results Following Recommendations of a Federal Interagency Working Group." Presented at the American Economic Association Annual Meeting, January 8, 2022. https://www.bls.gov/cex/research_papers/pdf/garner-et-al-consumption-poverty-measure-interagency-working-group.pdf
- Garner, Thesia, Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, Grayson Armstrong, Caleb Cho, and Juan Munoz. "Building a Consumption "Poverty" Measure at the BLS: Initial Results." Presented at the 2022 Society of Government Economists Annual Conference, April 1, 2022. (forthcoming)
- Garner, Thesia and Adam Safir. "Consumption Measurement with Consumer Expenditure Surveys Data: A Research Project." Presented during the FESAC Meeting December 10, 2021. https://apps.bea.gov/fesac/meetings/2021-12-10/Consumption-Measure-Garner-Safir.pdf
- Johnson, David S. (2004). "Measuring Consumption and Consumption Poverty: Possibilities and Issues." Paper prepared for workshop entitled "Reconsidering the Federal Poverty Measure" at the American Enterprise Institute, November 2004. http://www.welfareacademy.org/pubs/poverty/Johnson.pdf
Papers and Publications
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) (2021). Consumer Expenditures in 2020. BLS Report 1096. https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/consumer-expenditures/2020/pdf/home.pdf
- Garner, Thesia, Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, and Adam Safir. 2021 Consumption Symposium and Consumption Short-term Research Plan. (forthcoming).
- Grayson Armstrong, Caleb Cho, Garner, Thesia, Brett Matsumoto, Juan Munoz, and Jake Schild. "Building a Consumption Poverty Measure: Initial Results Following Recommendations of a Federal Interagency Working Group." American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings (AEA P&P), https://www.bls.gov/osmr/research-papers/2022/pdf/ec220030.pdf. For computer code used to produce the results in the paper, see: https://www.bls.gov/cex/consumption.zip
- Aguiar, Mark and Erik Hurst (2005). "Consumption versus Expenditure." Journal of Political Economy, Volume 113, Number 5. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/491590
- Fisher, J. D., Johnson, D. S., Smeeding, T. M., & Thompson, J. P. (2020). "Estimating the marginal propensity to consume using the distributions of income, consumption, and wealth." Journal of Macroeconomics, 65, 103218. https://www.bostonfed.org/publications/research-department-working-paper/2019/estimating-the-marginal-propensity-to-consume-using-the-distributions-income-consumption-wealth.aspx
- Fisher, J., Johnson, D. S. & Smeeding, T. M. (2015). "Inequality of Income and Consumption in the U.S.: Measuring the Trends in Inequality from 1984 to 2011 for the Same Individuals." Review of Income and Wealth, 61(4), 630-650. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/roiw.12129
- Jappelli, T and L Pistaferri (2017). Economics of Consumption: Theory and Evidence. Oxford University Press. New York, NY.
- Jones, C and P Klenow (2016). Beyond GDP? Welfare across Countries and Time. American Economic Review. 106 (9). 2426-2457. http://klenow.com/Jones_Klenow.pdf
- Levy Institute. Consumption Poverty. https://www.levyinstitute.org/topics/consumption-poverty
- The Levy Institute Measure of Time and Income Poverty. https://www.levyinstitute.org/research/the-levy-institute-measure-of-time-and-income-poverty
- Meyer, Bruce D. and James X. Sullivan. Consumption and Income Poverty Dashboard. http://povertymeasurement.org/dashboard/
- Meyer, Bruce D. and James X. Sullivan (2012a). "Identifying the Disadvantaged: Official Poverty, Consumption Poverty, and the New Supplemental Poverty Measure." Journal of Economic Perspectives-Volume 26, Number 3-Summer 2012-Pages 111-136. https://harris.uchicago.edu/files/identifythedisadvantaged.pdf
- Meyer, Bruce D. and James X. Sullivan (2012b). Winning the War: Poverty from the Great Society to the Great Recession. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Fall, 133-183. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012b_meyer.pdf
Reports With Reference To Household Consumption Measurement
Last Modified Date: May 17, 2022