Consumption Research Homepage
BLS and outside sources have published numerous research papers and reports that relate to consumption measurement; we limit citations to those published between 2003 and 2022. This page also provides information on BLS past and upcoming presentations. Reference the resources at the bottom of this page to learn more about consumption research.
- Garner, Thesia I. "Consumption as a Measure to Assess Poverty." Presented at the 2022 Association for Public Policy and Analysis (APPAM) Conference, March 29, 2022.
- Garner, Thesia I. "Consumption as a Resource Measure." FCSM Conference. November 4, 2021.
- Garner, Thesia I. and Kevin Corinth. "Evaluating Alternative Poverty Measures: A View from an Interagency Working Group." Southern Economics Association Annual Meeting, November 22, 2021
- Garner, Thesia I., Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, Grayson Armstrong, Caleb Cho, and Juan Munoz. "Building a Consumption Poverty Measure: Initial Results Following Recommendations of a Federal Interagency Working Group." American Economics Association Annual Meeting during the ASSA Annual Meetings, January 8, 2022.
- Garner, Thesia I., Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, Grayson Armstrong, Caleb Cho, and Juan Munoz. "Building a Consumption "Poverty" Measure at the BLS: Initial Results." Presented at the 2022 Society of Government Economists Annual Conference, April 1, 2022.
- Garner, Thesia I. "BLS Distributional Statistics with focus on "Distributions of PCE and CE Consumption"." FESAC Meeting, June 10 2022.
- Garner, Thesia I., Brett Matsumoto, and Jake Schild. "Are Expenditures Equal to Consumption? Research and Development at the BLS with Implications for Inequality and Poverty Measurement." JSM August 10, 2022.
- Garner, Thesia and Adam Safir. "Consumption Measurement with Consumer Expenditure Surveys Data: A Research Project." Presented during the FESAC Meeting December 10, 2021.
- Johnson, David S. (2004). "Measuring Consumption and Consumption Poverty: Possibilities and Issues." Paper prepared for workshop entitled "Reconsidering the Federal Poverty Measure" at the American Enterprise Institute, November 2004.
Papers and Publications
- Garner, Thesia I., Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, Adam Safir, and Scott Curtin. "A Conceptual Framework for the U.S. Consumer Expenditure Surveys." Consumer Expenditure Surveys Program Report Series, October 4, 2022
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) (2021). Consumer Expenditures in 2020. BLS Report 1096. https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/consumer-expenditures/2020/pdf/home.pdf
- Garner, Thesia, Brett Matsumoto, Jake Schild, and Adam Safir. 2021 Consumption Symposium and Consumption Short-term Research Plan. (forthcoming).
- Grayson Armstrong, Caleb Cho, Garner, Thesia, Brett Matsumoto, Juan Munoz, and Jake Schild. "Building a Consumption Poverty Measure: Initial Results Following Recommendations of a Federal Interagency Working Group." American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings (AEA P&P), https://www.bls.gov/osmr/research-papers/2022/pdf/ec220030.pdf. For computer code used to produce the results in the paper, see: https://www.bls.gov/cex/consumption.zip
- Aguiar, Mark and Erik Hurst (2005). "Consumption versus Expenditure." Journal of Political Economy, Volume 113, Number 5. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/491590
- Fisher, J. D., Johnson, D. S., Smeeding, T. M., & Thompson, J. P. (2020). "Estimating the marginal propensity to consume using the distributions of income, consumption, and wealth." Journal of Macroeconomics, 65, 103218. https://www.bostonfed.org/publications/research-department-working-paper/2019/estimating-the-marginal-propensity-to-consume-using-the-distributions-income-consumption-wealth.aspx
- Fisher, J., Johnson, D. S. & Smeeding, T. M. (2015). "Inequality of Income and Consumption in the U.S.: Measuring the Trends in Inequality from 1984 to 2011 for the Same Individuals." Review of Income and Wealth, 61(4), 630-650. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/roiw.12129
- Jappelli, T and L Pistaferri (2017). Economics of Consumption: Theory and Evidence. Oxford University Press. New York, NY.
- Jones, C and P Klenow (2016). Beyond GDP? Welfare across Countries and Time. American Economic Review. 106 (9). 2426-2457. http://klenow.com/Jones_Klenow.pdf
- Levy Institute. Consumption Poverty. https://www.levyinstitute.org/topics/consumption-poverty
- The Levy Institute Measure of Time and Income Poverty. https://www.levyinstitute.org/research/the-levy-institute-measure-of-time-and-income-poverty
- Meyer, Bruce D. and James X. Sullivan. Consumption and Income Poverty Dashboard. http://povertymeasurement.org/dashboard/
- Meyer, Bruce D. and James X. Sullivan (2012a). "Identifying the Disadvantaged: Official Poverty, Consumption Poverty, and the New Supplemental Poverty Measure." Journal of Economic Perspectives-Volume 26, Number 3-Summer 2012-Pages 111-136. https://harris.uchicago.edu/files/identifythedisadvantaged.pdf
- Meyer, Bruce D. and James X. Sullivan (2012b). Winning the War: Poverty from the Great Society to the Great Recession. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Fall, 133-183. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012b_meyer.pdf
Reports With Reference To Household Consumption Measurement
Last Modified Date: December 27, 2022
Distribution of U.S. Personal Consumption Expenditures Using Consumer Expenditure Surveys Data: Methods and Supplementary Results
Distribution of Personal Consumption Expenditures
Distribution of Personal Consumption Expenditures